Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FYI re: Letters of Continuing Interest Prior to Receiving a Decision...  (Read 1086 times)

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
For those of you who still haven't heard from one of your top choices, you may want to give this a shot:

Last Wednesday I emailed GW asking them when I would receive a decision and they replied that I would find out in the first week of May.  On Friday I sent an email to them detailing why GW was my first choice, listing various reasons including the fact that Washington was my fiance and my "dream" city.  I dropped professors names and basically just begged them to let me in.  Keep in mind, that I am a very borderline applicant, especially considering I applied late in the process.  It may have been risky, but at this point I assumed I was about to be WL'd or worse so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, what do you know?  Only two days later I receive an email stating that I've been accepted.  It came as a complete surprise given that only a few days earlier they said I wouldn't find out for another month.  In the end, I think it was my email that took me off the fence.  Those of you who are still waiting on schools might want to think about implementing a similar tactic.  Good luck and I hope this helps. 

deleted1248163264128

• View Profile
Wow, congratulations!  Thanks for sharing that with us.  It must have been quite a rush to get that acceptance!   :)

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Post your letter/email -- perhaps some of us would like to use it as a guide for our own letters of continued interest...

ichiban

• View Profile
    • Email
Please don't.  It would be detrimental for everyone: for those who don't do it and even those who do, b/c these admin. offices will have a plethora of this generic looking plea letter, which would water down a genuine plea coming from an extremely interested applicant.

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
For goodness sakes... do you really think that that many law school applicants read this board.. and that so many will take action... and that they all take action at the same law schools... and why in the world would you send a letter remotely similar to the example...it's just an example...I'd like to see what the admin office at GW thought was so great....

frontier

• View Profile
Congratulations!  I've been contemplating the same thing.  It would be great if you could post your email.

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!

I'd rather not post my email word for word.  It was essentially the type of letter you would send if you were waitlisted but I did it before they got the chance to do so.  Like I said, I listed all of the reasons for wanting to attend GW, including personal/family reasons.  I also explicitly stated that they were my first choice and my "dream" school.

Of course, the letter had a very professional tone but there was an underlying sense of groveling/ass-kissing.  Good luck.  If you think you're a borderline applicant and haven't heard back yet it might be worth giving a shot.

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
tease!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Congrats, that is phenomenal to get that kind of response!
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Yeah, and I meant it too.  ;)