Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Median Salary (Public and Private) all Law Schools  (Read 25930 times)

wrmusgro

Re: Median Salary (Public and Private) all Law Schools
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »
Yes, you all will make more than a hundred grand a year when you first get out of law school. Please come and see me when you do because you'll probably want to purchase a beachhouse, and as it happens I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona that I'd like to sell to you......

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2005, 01:35:56 PM »
Yes, you all will make more than a hundred grand a year when you first get out of law school. Please come and see me when you do because you'll probably want to purchase a beachhouse, and as it happens I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona that I'd like to sell to you......

I would be very surprised if anyone on this board thought that every law grad is likely to make 100k off the bat. You are arguing against a straw man. Your claim that most regional LS grads will not earn anywhere near this is true. But it is also true that many Tier 1 grads will probably earn salaries near this figure. I would like to know what evidence you have to the contrary.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2005, 02:15:17 PM »

I would be very surprised if anyone on this board thought that every law grad is likely to make 100k off the bat. You are arguing against a straw man. Your claim that most regional LS grads will not earn anywhere near this is true. But it is also true that many Tier 1 grads will probably earn salaries near this figure. I would like to know what evidence you have to the contrary.

If you look at the *accurate* self-reported salary stats for schools in the lower half of T1, you will find that 100k is somewhere near the 75th percentile and above.  For example, the median salary at UF, Alabama and UGA is nowhere near 100k.

http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/prospective.shtml
http://www.law.uga.edu/career/statistics/empstats00.html
http://www.4lawschool.com/lawschools/alabama.htm

Let's try the higher ranked Notre Dame.

http://www.nd.edu/~ndlaw/prospective_students/career_information/employment_report.html

Still below 100k.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it's a lot more difficult to get a 100k/year job than you think.  Going to a T1 certainly doesn't guarantee that result. 

Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2005, 02:49:57 PM »
ruskie:

hylas said he was only talking about high ranked NY schools, and he is right about salary for those schools.

nobody claimed average starting at UF or georgia is 100K!

(163+172)/3.5

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2005, 03:15:09 PM »

even if he was just talking about NY schools, 100k in NY = 60k in Florida or Georgia.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2005, 03:38:46 PM »
Ruskie, since you're at a Top 14, do you expect 100K right after gradution?  One thing about Boalt compare to the other Top 14 schools is that its graduates' starting salary is much lower than the rest of the others. 

You have expressed numerous times that you would like to go back to Florida after gradutation, did you ever regret (or having doubt) for choosing Berkeley over all your other choices with much less debt?

By the way, how do you like your experience at Boalt so far?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2005, 04:01:06 PM »
Ruskie, since you're at a Top 14, do you expect 100K right after gradution?  One thing about Boalt compare to the other Top 14 schools is that its graduates' starting salary is much lower than the rest of the others. 

You have expressed numerous times that you would like to go back to Florida after gradutation, did you ever regret (or having doubt) for choosing Berkeley over all your other choices with much less debt?

By the way, how do you like your experience at Boalt so far?

I was actually curious about why the salary stats reported to the US News last year were somewhat lower than the stats for our peer institutions, so I asked at the Career Services Office.  They told me that it was either a reporting error on their part or a misprint by the US News.  How much truth there is to that, I do not know.  If the stats are indeed correct my guess is that they could be attributed to a general lack of prestige whoring in the student body.  Walking down the hallways at Boalt, you hear Quinn Emanuel much more often than you hear Skadden.  That's because Boalt students are a self-selected group of surfing bums, hippies and anti-establishment political activists who would much rather go to a "lifestyle" firm like QE than the 2400 billable hour sweatshops in NYC.

I have wondered if I made the right choice a couple of times.  However, when I made it, I was not so certain that I wouldn't love California and want to stay there.  I wasn't ready to be married to the state of Florida and that is what I feel would have happened had I gone to any of the schools there that gave me $.  If and when I come back, I am not really worried about having to take a slightly lower-paying job than my classmates who will work in NYC, LA, and SF.  Many of the top firms in Florida start at around 100k, but with the cost of living here, I would be happy with 75k+.  Like I said before 100k doesn't go far in the cities that have 125k starting salary averages at BigLaw. I can live much better here on 75k than I could in SF on 125k.

I love the school, the faculty and my classmates.  You can have the Northern California weather, though! :P

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2005, 05:13:46 PM »

If you look at the *accurate* self-reported salary stats for schools in the lower half of T1, you will find that 100k is somewhere near the 75th percentile and above.  For example, the median salary at UF, Alabama and UGA is nowhere near 100k.

http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/prospective.shtml
http://www.law.uga.edu/career/statistics/empstats00.html
http://www.4lawschool.com/lawschools/alabama.htm

Let's try the higher ranked Notre Dame.

http://www.nd.edu/~ndlaw/prospective_students/career_information/employment_report.html

Still below 100k.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it's a lot more difficult to get a 100k/year job than you think.  Going to a T1 certainly doesn't guarantee that result. 

My bubble is not burst. I never thought that going to a T1 would guarantee anyone a 100k starting  salary. But then again, I don't think anyone on this board thinks THAT, which is why I said the earlier post was a straw man.
My claim is merely that moderate success at a highly ranked school would make it reasonable for one to expect a good shot at such jobs. I think it is probably more accurate to say "higher T1" and/or highly ranked regional school in major markets like NYC, DC, LA, and Boston will do this. Notre Dame is in Indiana. So despite its T1 status, it is not located in a major legal market. By contrast, a NYC school like Cardozo, which is T2 claims to have a median starting salary of 95k -- 101k. Given the advertised starting salaries of mid-large firms in NYC this is not very doubtful. Of course, not everyone at Cardozo will get these jobs -- but who thought you could get crappy grades in LS and still land a plum job? I doubt anyone on this board. 

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2005, 05:20:55 PM »
"Like I said before 100k doesn't go far in the cities that have 125k starting salary averages at BigLaw. I can live much better here on 75k than I could in SF on 125k."

--Ruskie

-Ruskie: this is a good point, and one often overlooked. The major markets pay more, but are also way more expensive to live in. Given that they also usually expect 2000+ billable hours from associates, a move to a less expensive, lower paying market makes sense. In fact, I am strongly considering moving to Florida after I finish at Fordham for just these reasons.

How ling did you live in Florida before moving to CA?

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2005, 05:26:18 PM »
"Like I said before 100k doesn't go far in the cities that have 125k starting salary averages at BigLaw. I can live much better here on 75k than I could in SF on 125k."

--Ruskie

-Ruskie: this is a good point, and one often overlooked. The major markets pay more, but are also way more expensive to live in. Given that they also usually expect 2000+ billable hours from associates, a move to a less expensive, lower paying market makes sense. In fact, I am strongly considering moving to Florida after I finish at Fordham for just these reasons.

How ling did you live in Florida before moving to CA?

I grew up in FL orlando area, and when I checked the salaries and step scales of biglaw in Orlando I was a bit dissapointed. I encourage you to check it out for youself. If you plan on going to an NY school and load up on debt, it may be a much bigger deal there
(163+172)/3.5