Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Median Salary (Public and Private) all Law Schools  (Read 25299 times)

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
Re: Median Salary (Public and Private) all Law Schools
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »
the statistics (even the reliable ones) don't say top ten percent will make 100K at big three. That is MUCH lower than reality.

At a second tier school that may well be true, but not at the top!
(163+172)/3.5

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2005, 08:34:11 PM »
NYLS, which is a tier 4 school, boasts an average (or is it median?) starting salary of 95K. Granted that's higher than many similarly ranked schools and is probably a function of its downtown NYC locale; but I think most tier 1 school students who finish in the top 1/3 of their class must have at least a fighting chance at 100k or thereabouts. At least this is how it seems from everything I have read. Cardozo claims an avg (median?) starting salary of 101K, and they are Tier 2. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think 100k is an unreasonable expectation for moderately successful students at T1 schools.
--Africa Bambata

wrmusgro

« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2005, 10:23:18 PM »
NYLS, which is a tier 4 school, boasts an average (or is it median?) starting salary of 95K. Granted that's higher than many similarly ranked schools and is probably a function of its downtown NYC locale; but I think most tier 1 school students who finish in the top 1/3 of their class must have at least a fighting chance at 100k or thereabouts. At least this is how it seems from everything I have read. Cardozo claims an avg (median?) starting salary of 101K, and they are Tier 2. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think 100k is an unreasonable expectation for moderately successful students at T1 schools.
--Africa Bambata

It all depends where you work, and what type of law you're going to practice. Also....those statistics hardly ever include the whole student body. But like I said this is a pointless argument. Good luck to everyone who thinks they'll be making 100k right out of school and they're not working in New York, Chicago or L.A. Most lawyers DON'T work in these cities. But hey....you never know. Good luck everyone.

dunson

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2005, 11:46:42 PM »
most law grads don't get biglaw jobs that pay market

wrmusgro

« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2005, 01:10:46 AM »
most law grads don't get biglaw jobs that pay market

Thanks for someone actually speaking some sense.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2005, 02:03:38 AM »
After reading this thread for awhile...

I really think the school's prestige matters when one talks about starting salaries.  To lump all LS grads into one group is sort of nieve. It would seem to me that the job prospects (BIGLAW or public) vary greatly by school.

dunson

« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2005, 09:37:35 AM »
also, ask any law student or recent grad.  the schools are bullshitting the numbers on employment and salary. they were even messing with the admissions numbers, which is why when usnwr changed their methodology this year they were pissed. 

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2005, 10:35:47 AM »
also, ask any law student or recent grad.  the schools are bullshitting the numbers on employment and salary. they were even messing with the admissions numbers, which is why when usnwr changed their methodology this year they were pissed. 

that is why you look at percent reporting and percent working in law firms/private practice. If both of these numbers are high (not often) you can trust the numbers... unless you think a school will directly falsify numbers
(163+172)/3.5

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »
I guess all the schools I have looked at seriously are upper tier, NYC schools where the vast majority of grads work in provate practice. Hence my sense that getting a high paying biglaw job is a reasonable expectation for successful students.
The vast majority of Fordham grads, for instance, work in private practice and the median salary is somewhere just over 100k. Fordham claims to have calculated this median using info from 98% of the relevant graduating class. I enrolled at Fordham so I expect to have shot at biglaw.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2005, 12:07:27 PM »
These numbers are old and inaccurate.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.