Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Median Salary (Public and Private) all Law Schools  (Read 25333 times)

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Median Salary (Public and Private) all Law Schools
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »
If you want to make shitloads of money work for Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz.

WLRK's profit per partner is the highest in the nation, despite the fact that they have a very low associate:partner ratio. It's my dream to work for these guys, they dont do routine work for big clients, they do disaster cases that require the best of the best lawyers such as the World Trade Towers insurance suit.

In addition, all their partners come from associate levels, they dont bring in anyone as partners. I'd say this firm is the best in the nation. One of their founding partners invented the poison pill defense for hostile takeover.

Of course, this firm also has insane hours, and only recruits at HYSCCN and Penn. 

You asked them about their hours, or are you just blowing LSD misinformation out your @$$?

Their required hours are publicly available -- feel free to look into it.  I don't recall the exact aount, but it's significantly more than most firms. 

(I don't know about you, but I don't get my info from LSD.)

As you taking this personally for some reason?  Or is just really that hard to belive that firms that pay significantly more expect a corresponding amount of work from their associates?

No, it's just I take what I read on this site with a grain of salt.

Well, I'd certainly agree with that.  ;)

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2005, 04:30:53 PM »
Wow, that site is full of misleading information. A casual observer might actually be led to believe that Florida State University grads have better job prospects than UVA grads.

Your posts are some of the biggest loads of elitist crap I've ever seen. Keep it coming, Captain T14.
SMU Fall '05

link0

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2005, 05:21:29 PM »
My friend, will do   :)

carpenoctem

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2005, 09:33:22 PM »
A friend of mine got a position with Arnstein & Lehr LLP. Here are some firm stats:

Bonus upon completion of 2,000+ billable-hours.

BASE SALARY
Chicago, IL (2005)
1st year: $110,000
Summer associate: $2,115/week

Although A&L has 5 main practice areas (business transactions, litigation, real estate, tax and estate planning, and local government), the firm is especially known for its strong litigation practice. In addition, a growing number of the firm's 120 lawyers are dedicated to transactional and real estate matters. Clients range from individuals to small and growing businesses to large, multinational corporations. In recent years, the firm has branched out from its Windy City headquarters, establishing offices in warmer outposts in West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Miami and Tampa, Fla. Arnstein & Lehr also has offices in Milwaukee, Wis., and Hoffman Estates, IL.

GETTING HIRED
Although the firm does hire laterally, it takes pride in developing young lawyers, and the summer program for 2Ls is at the heart of the firm's hiring practice. In evaluating candidates, Arnstein & Lehr balances class rank against law school prestige. It expects students from "first-tier" schools to be in the top 50% of their class, while applicants from lower-tier schools should be within the top 25%. The selection process is not all about academics, however; the firm also gives weight to extracurricular activities like moot court and journal experience. It interviews at law school campuses throughout the Midwest, including Chicago-Kent, DePaul, University of Illinois, Indiana University at Bloomington, University of Iowa, John Marshall Law School, Loyola University, University of Michigan, Northwestern University, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Wisconsin. In addition, as part of its effort to increase the diversity of its attorneys, Arnstein & Lehr conducts on-campus interviews at Howard University in Washington, D.C., and participates in the Cook County Bar Association Minority Job Fair.

Those who succeed in landing a job at Arnstein & Lehr are expected to work hard; the minimum annual billable requirement is 2,000 hours. But there are rewards in store for those who meet or exceed the billable-hours target. At 2,000 hours, associates receive a guaranteed $10,000 bonus, and additional bonuses are available for every additional hour billed over and above the target.
I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance.

u c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2005, 10:36:22 PM »
Thanks carpenoctem for a wonderful contribution to this thread!

Freznic

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2005, 06:15:46 PM »
Welcome to why I'm going to Pittsburgh.  Buy a nice three bedroom house in a great area for $80k. 

You can live like a king here on a hundred grand, and like a prince on 60.

Agree with the salary statement, but what neighborhood are you talking about? My wife and I found a place for just under 100k 4 years ago. It was the best price I could find that wasn't a fixer or didn't come with its own bullet holes!

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2005, 02:01:50 PM »
Best thread I have seen around here in a while. Reinforces my mixed feelings about enrolling at Fordham:
on the one hand it is nice knowing that, if I do well, I may have the same earning potential as a Columbia,NYU grad, etc.
However, it reminds me also that New York is a damned cess pool and an expensive one at that.
Been really thinking about transferring, even to a lower ranked school, just to get into a nicer region of the country and put down some roots (Florida and Hawaii are the top contenders).

Anyhow, anyone know how much ass. da's are paid in Suffolk County, NY?

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2005, 03:17:34 PM »
Lots of interestng posts.  Why doesn't each of us email someone working at a BIGLAW firm and ask them to post here?  I think REAL responses would be enlightening.

Freznic

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2005, 11:13:30 AM »
Lots of interestng posts.  Why doesn't each of us email someone working at a BIGLAW firm and ask them to post here?  I think REAL responses would be enlightening.

A very, very good point and one that applies to most advice/reponses received here!

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2005, 11:21:56 AM »

Been really thinking about transferring, even to a lower ranked school, just to get into a nicer region of the country and put down some roots (Florida and Hawaii are the top contenders).

Not to be a downer but the cost of living in Hawaii is rediculous.  Average home price over a half a mil on Oahu and starting attys at the largest firms in Honolulu look at making about 75K/yr.  Just something to think about.  You'll pay NYC housing costs for anything you'd really want and not make NYC pay.  But hey, it is beautiful!

As for Florida?  Too many hurricanes!!