Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just visited Duke  (Read 7857 times)

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Just visited Duke
« on: November 27, 2004, 08:47:04 PM »
... and couldn't get into the building. Ooops. Here visiting my sister and dropped by this afternoon.  I looked inside but didn't think much of the building on the outside. The rest of Duke's campus is BEAUTIFUL, though. I'm lovin' the field brick and all the classical architecture.  Did get inside the chapel (cathedral) which was breathtaking.  Definitely has a more Northeastern feel to it.  Raleigh/Durham is exploding, right near Research Triangle Park where IBM, Cisco, BioGen, Nortel, et al. Rather cheap to live when compared to other top 10's, too.

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just visited Duke
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 09:04:17 AM »
YOu can do a search -- someone recently wrote up a pretty good description of Duke Law. I've been and taken the tour -- theres nothing that would surprise you if you looked in the windows honestly -- a little food mart, a big library, a moot courtroom -- pretty standard stuff, and it's all fairly new looking.

grotius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 08:49:49 AM »
it is beautiful, but an exact replica of princeton. some old academic wanted to build an ivy league school in the south and so he recreated princeton, brick for brick. except the chapel at duke is i think 1 inch higher or some bs like that.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 03:22:55 PM »
Wow, I had no idea.  So the Duke family really just lifted everything from Princeton?

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 08:36:15 AM »
And you're deaf too?

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:57:59 AM »
Nah, it's just a phrase I picked up and liked in Mexico while I lived there for two years.

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 03:02:48 PM »
i bet that really pissed off Princeton
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 03:13:10 PM »
?.....its ranked 10 right now.

Rather cheap to live when compared to other top 10's, too.

Ummmm, hate to break it to you, but Duke is not top 10.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 04:06:24 PM »
Ummmm, hate to break it to you, but Duke is not top 10.

Ummm, hate to break it to you, but it is. Get some more posts and we'll talk ;D Just kidding.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 05:05:44 PM »
Ummm, hate to break it to you, but Duke is only tied for 10 in USN&WR and if that is where you are getting your rankings from then you have your head in your ass.  Leiter's ranking puts Duke at 17.  No other ranking puts Duke as high as 10.

(FYI: I have 2500+ posts)

Leiter is an egotistical jackass.  I also hate to break it to you, but the USN@WR is the only ranking employer's look at.  Every other ranking system is only looked at by academics.  Thus, if you think more emphasis should be placed on Leiter's rankings, then you are the one with your head up your ass.