Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just visited Duke  (Read 7913 times)

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
Re: Just visited Duke
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2004, 03:51:06 PM »
It looks like Penn has at least equally good career prospects as Chicago.  While it is certainly possible that a renowned legal scholar is also an excellent teacher, the fact that they are a renowned legal scholar by no means indicates they will be a exceptional teacher.  Even if they are brilliant and their head contains limitless amounts of legal genius, if they can't communicate that effectively to students, does it matter to the students?  So, excellent scholarship doesn't really indicate teaching quality either way, just as a law professor who isn't a leader in their field may be an amazing teacher who students learn more from than the reowned professor.  

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2004, 03:55:12 PM »
Anytime, I knew what you were sayin ;D

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 04:05:38 PM »
Did you even read my post?  You can know everything there is to know, relativity theory included, but if you can't communicate that information to students it doesn't matter.  Excellent scholarship doesn't mean quality teaching, just as it doens't mean poor teaching.  Even a average law professor who isn't renowned in their field is going to know quite a bit about the law, and while they may be a bad teacher, they could also be a amazing teacher who students learn a  lot from.  And if Einstein was a bad teacher who I didn't learn anything from, then yeah I'd rather learn from someone who wasn't cited much but was a excellent teacher who I learned a lot from, wouldn't you?  Or maybe you'd prefer the prestige and forget the actual learning part?

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2004, 04:13:40 PM »
No one said it is always better to study under nobodies than renownd legal scholars, and you seem to put a lot of stock in the Princteon Review Rankings.  You're the only person I've heard that puts so much stock in them.

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2004, 04:24:09 PM »
Please give a good reason for thinking that someone who is not cited would be a better teacher than someone who is cited.

Again, no one said that teachers who aren't cited are consistently better teachers than those who are cited.  What I did say was that a teacher who is cited extensively isn't neccesarily a better teacher than one who is cited very little.  Consequently, it is also possible that a teacher who is cited often is a better teacher than one who is cited very little.  Do you disagree that it is possible for a professor who is cited little to be a better teacher than a professor who is cited a great deal?  Again, keep in mind I'm not saying this is always the case, I'm just saying it is possible and something to kep in mind.  Possible, not probable.

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 04:43:08 PM »
On the whole and on average I think that the sharpest and most successful legal minds are better to study under than less sharp and less successful legal minds.

No one disagreed with that, did they?

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 07:32:51 PM »
Who specifically disagreed with it and what did they say, I must have missed it.

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 07:37:38 PM »
I did and none of them disagreed as you claimed they did, thats what I was saying but you seemed to have missed it.  Sorry.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2004, 08:28:06 AM »
"Yale is known for quirky admits (they let someone in with GPA less than 3.0 and LSAT less than 160 a year or two ago) so they probably have a few incompetents in their class as well as a few cuckoos.  For instance, they have a teenager who scored in the low 160s at YLS right now.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has trouble finding a job with a Yale Law degree at the age of 19 and with a mediocre record"

The teenager to whom you are referring deferred so he hasn't quite started yet.  Nevertheless, I would hardly call his record mediocre.  I have *no* doubt whatsoever that upon graduation, he will be able to get an excellent job--he is already doing incredible things now. 

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2004, 09:10:53 AM »
a heck of a lot of people at Yale will end up being mediocre in comparison to their classmates.  he will not be at a specific disadvantage--especially given his career interests.

trust me, he did defer