Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Arizona?  (Read 1495 times)

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
U Arizona?
« on: November 27, 2004, 02:33:20 PM »
already sent out army of applications, but curious about u arizona (kid sister just applied there like yesterday for undergrad, otherwise i really would have looked over the school)

anyway, anybody been? good program? the city? placement? etc...
(too hot? i'm used to mild northwest weather)

thechoson

Re: U Arizona?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 06:50:17 PM »
I've applied there too.  There are only 2 ABA law schools in Arizona, and U of A is the better one. Considering Tucson and Phoenix combined are metro areas of like 4 million people, and there are only TWO law schools, I would think the good students would feed very well into either market (though they are hardly LARGE law markets)

Have never been to Tucson, would visit obviously if i can get in to U of A.  Actually, I have a lot riding on U of A, cause it's my ultimate TARGET school. If I can get in, then I would rather go there and stay closer to home than move to the east coast for slightly higher ranked schools.

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »
i just might apply- if anything, another option come spring, right

maybe we'll be classmates- best of luck!

eklmu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:40:43 AM »
arizona, tempe and tuscon are both great areas. it's pretty much like an extention of southen california in my opinion, but it is ridiculously hot there in the summer. 100+ heat daily during june-aug. if you can stand the heat, it's a really nice place to live. cost of living is relatively reasonable there also (but then again, I live in southern cal, so anything is better than here).

also, know that the phoenix area is one of the fastest growing places to live on the west coast. only other areas that rival the growth are the riverside area in southern cal and the vegas suburbs. so you aren't really limiting your options by going to arizona.

Fade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 09:13:49 PM »
Tucson is horrible. Other than U of A, there's nothing there. This is my humble opinion only, of course.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »
Tucson is not that bad. It's close to Rocky Point and the cost of living is low. You get used to living here and it's nice not having to deal with living in a big city

rwhitman

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 11:23:57 AM »
Tucson is horrible. Other than U of A, there's nothing there. This is my humble opinion only, of course.

You don't know what you're talking about, there's a lot there besides UA.  Ever heard of Raytheon, IBM, Honeywell??? How about Fennemore Craig Law Firm?  Phoenix is only an 1 1/2 hours away, Puerto Penasco (rocky point mexico) is 5 hours away,  there's a desert museum with all kinds of cool *&^%--if you're into that, and there's plenty of bars as well (4th ave).
That said, I still haven't decided if I want to go to ASU or UA. Phoenix has a much bigger nightlife and I like watching the Cardinals play...UA is older and more established but who knows maybe ASU will surpass it in the near future in the rankings. Most of the legal jobs are in phoenix and ASU just built a new law & technology center which should place them on the map for IP law--especially in the realm of Genetics.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 11:44:52 PM »
I've been to Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale, but never to Tucson.  Personally, I don't think the hot summer weather is that bad, and yes, I have spent time there in August.  But you have to understand that what I come from is the hot and unbelievably sticky summer weather of New Jersey and Washington, DC.  100+ degree weather in Scottsdale was a picnic compared to the humidity that I've suffered through my entire life on the East Coast.  It's hot, but to me it was refreshing.  I could take a dip in the pool, get back on my lawn chair and actually DRY OFF in a matter of minutes rather than spending hours in a wet bathing suit trying not to sweat to death.  It was wonderful.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 01:35:32 AM »
Tucson is beautiful.  It may be hot but it's not humid (I'm out here in Hell aka Florida).  Tucson is close to Rocky Pt. Mexico beaches and Mt. Lemon ski slopes.  UofA is a very well-established Law School and is definitely worth a look for anyone who wants to work in AZ or SoCal. 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!