Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this believable?  (Read 9303 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Is this believable?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 06:52:48 PM »
julie believe!

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 07:12:25 PM »
I truly do not think it increases ones chances of law school admissions that much. 

It doesn't take a statistician to figure out that this assertion is flatly wrong. Hat's off to you for your community involvement, etc. I've got some of those on my app too. The sad truth is, the admissions process gives much more weight to your race than it does to ANY other part of your application.

As an aside, I find the term "African American" to be incredibly offensive. We are Americans, for better or worse. My ancestors come from Germany. I am no more German than a black American is African.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 07:27:19 PM »
i think a.a. should still be utilized for undergraduate admissions, but i think professional programs should admit on a merit basis. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 09:59:16 AM »
Why? Even crack dealers need lawyers...leave the real law to white people.

Haha ez

matt

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 01:52:34 AM »
If they're a black woman its totally believable. Being an african american woman seems to be a meal ticket. Maybe I should tell adcoms that. It really sucks for everyone else. I mean I grew up poor in rural southwest Georgia, went to the Marines, then worked my way through college in only 3 years. But am I crazy enough to think that I'll even get a whiff from tier one schools? Heck no. I'm white, so even though I had a disadvantaged life, I've got no shot because I can't do Logic games to save my life. Oh well cheers to black women everywhere. (but I'm not bitter) Ha ha.

There are a million reasons besides race/gender that people get accepted to law school.  LSAT and GPA are the two *most important* factors.  But that doesn't mean that you necessarily NEED one or both of them to get into a good school.  If your parents were alumni, especially if they donate large amounts of money to the school - you're in.  If you have 10 years of incredible work experience and have many tangible accomplishments to show for it - you're in.  If you can write like Bob Woodward - you're in.  The bottom line is that people on this board tend to fixate on LSAT and GPA as the ONLY factors for law school admission, when in fact they are just the most significant.  Granted the odds of getting in with bad numbers is significantly lower, but there are dozens and dozens of other factors that law schools do consider.

eeniemeeniemineymoe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 03:49:08 AM »
i think a.a. should still be utilized for undergraduate admissions, but i think professional programs should admit on a merit basis. 

i agree.
Going from mush to meringue...

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2004, 04:17:12 AM »

I truly do not think it increases ones chances of law school admissions that much. 

Wrong...but that doesn't mean I am against AA. To say it doesn't increase it that much is a farce... go check LSN, it's obvious there is a difference; that's not to take away from your accomplishments, however. Good luck.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

WoeIsMe

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2004, 11:16:18 PM »
I was searching users on lawschoolnumbers.com and I clicked on Can101 (last years application cycle)...This user had a 153 lsat and 3.5 gpa (I beleive) and got accepted into several tier 1 schools...Is this legit?

I'm not sure if this is the same person, but after the astonishment died down I reread and found out she was also blind.  Talk about feeling like an ass...

maricutie

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 11:42:08 AM »

Wrong...but that doesn't mean I am against AA. To say it doesn't increase it that much is a farce... go check LSN, it's obvious there is a difference; that's not to take away from your accomplishments, however. Good luck.

I agree, although the perception of how much it really matters seems to differ even amongst minorities. I, for example, only assumed that it meant my application would get throughly read and discussed instead of being tossed automatically into the reject pile. Once there, it would be up to the applicant to dazzle them with ps, LORs, WE, etc. But then you have URMs with 3.0-something gpas and LSATs in the 150s who think they have a decent shot at NYU or columbia.  ???

I still think it really only guarantees a 'read,' but then again someone got into yale last year with a 3.1/165.

Short answer: I have no idea.   ??? ??? ???

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 11:44:50 AM »
I was searching users on lawschoolnumbers.com and I clicked on Can101 (last years application cycle)...This user had a 153 lsat and 3.5 gpa (I beleive) and got accepted into several tier 1 schools...Is this legit?

I'm not sure if this is the same person, but after the astonishment died down I reread and found out she was also blind.  Talk about feeling like an ass...

how the hell can a blind person go to law school?  are they going to convert every casebook to braille?