Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this believable?  (Read 9088 times)

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
Re: Is this believable?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2005, 01:18:49 AM »
i dont care if i am a minority or not. any way to get into law school is good. if i have to give someone 2 bj's i would! ha ha hahahaha

I can get you into law school.

I'll need to see a photo of you first though.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2005, 03:53:05 AM »
Please, please, please stop bringing back threads from the dead.  This one is a month old.  Why do you expect that people will want to refresh themselves on 30 some posts from a month or more ago so they can respond?

If you're bored find something else to talk about.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2005, 09:03:21 AM »
i dont care if i am a minority or not. any way to get into law school is good. if i have to give someone 2 bj's i would! ha ha hahahaha

I can get you into law school.

I'll need to see a photo of you first though.

175  8)

mcm

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
Not really contributing to the discussion but I wanted to quote a friend of mine: "Man, if I was a handicapped black woman, I'd RULE THE WORLD!"

I'm looking around...and I can't help noticing the striking lack of handicapped black women in world leadership positions...

Just saying.

TLFKARG

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »
Not really contributing to the discussion but I wanted to quote a friend of mine: "Man, if I was a handicapped black woman, I'd RULE THE WORLD!"

I'm looking around...and I can't help noticing the striking lack of handicapped black women in world leadership positions...

Just saying.

Your undiluted arrogance is astounding.  HTH.

boogie77

• View Profile
    • Culture Remix
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 02:14:29 PM »
Being a rich white man is your meal ticket! Go. G.W. Bush!

If they're a black woman its totally believable. Being an african american woman seems to be a meal ticket. Maybe I should tell adcoms that. It really sucks for everyone else. I mean I grew up poor in rural southwest Georgia, went to the Marines, then worked my way through college in only 3 years. But am I crazy enough to think that I'll even get a whiff from tier one schools? Heck no. I'm white, so even though I had a disadvantaged life, I've got no shot because I can't do Logic games to save my life. Oh well cheers to black women everywhere. (but I'm not bitter) Ha ha.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »
So what happens if you're black and from England.  If you check a box that says African-American, you'd be lying.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2005, 03:19:51 PM »
okay- to all of you on this board....

two days ago i found a girl on LSN with a 2.9 GPA and a 155 LSAT. she was applying to 8 schools only. those schools being harvard, stanford, columbia, georgetown, boalt, ucla, usc, and uc hastings.

this girl happened to be african american. she had an mba and some reletivly unique work experience. that being said i wrote to her saying she was being unrealistic with her choices and if she wanted to go to law school at all she still had some time to apply to schools that might actually gain her admission.

people on LSD have been really pissy with me about doing this. saying that i "don't know her" and "don't know what she has gone through"   so?  even if she has had some horrible luck in her life does that mean that with those numbers she doesn't need to apply to back up schools?

i am  very liberal and very much for AA in law school. i think it does make the environment richer and ontop of that i think some people have had some tough luck and can do well with a little boost. a LITTLE boost. i don't believe middle of the road scores across the board can ever get you into a T14, unless you are an out of this world applicant aside from them? does anyone agree with me here AT ALL???

just a little concerned people here at LSD are a little too trigger happy and anxious to jump onto some ugly "racist wagon"....i think i was being helpful to an all too hopefull applicant

odes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2005, 03:35:38 PM »
  I think it is pointless to argue the reasons behind an applicant getting accepted into a "T14" school with low numbers. We are not on the ad comm, don't know the applicant, and have no idea what they put into their personal statement. With that being said I'm a white male who is going to go to a top Tier 2 school and do not regret the fact that URMs with lower numbers than mine got into higher schools. I beleive being an African American woman in the United States is not easy and those individuals are faced with unique disadvantages due to the intersection of discrimination between their race and gender. If you add "poor" or "low income" to this label and "lesbian" to this label the likelihood of discrimination is increased further. Thus, all of you  out there who are bitter about the fact that law schools recognize oppression and discrimination in the status quo need to open your eyes and realize that these people have a much more difficult time at getting to the point in which they can apply to law school than the majority. Therefore, we must praise the law schools for taking diversity into consideration in a country that seems to quickly forget how around forty years ago an African American woman was not even allowed in the same park and other public places as the majority. Give up the bitterness and recognize that racism still occurs within institutions and society and rethink your assumptions before posting a response. Any of your arguments against "affirmative action" in the law school admission process will never come to terms with the intersection of oppression that all African American females must go through. On a side note Intersectionality is a really cool realm in academia and relates a lot to the study of law. Hopefully when I go to law school there will be classes on this but who knows. Well that was my opinion..take care everyone and good luck to all of you applying this year.