Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this believable?  (Read 9272 times)

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
Re: Is this believable?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 11:49:42 AM »
Not really contributing to the discussion but I wanted to quote a friend of mine: "Man, if I was a handicapped black woman, I'd RULE THE WORLD!"
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

maricutie

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 11:51:42 AM »
I was searching users on lawschoolnumbers.com and I clicked on Can101 (last years application cycle)...This user had a 153 lsat and 3.5 gpa (I beleive) and got accepted into several tier 1 schools...Is this legit?

I'm not sure if this is the same person, but after the astonishment died down I reread and found out she was also blind.  Talk about feeling like an ass...

how the hell can a blind person go to law school?  are they going to convert every casebook to braille?

Depends on 'how blind' they are, I would assume. If completely blind, then yeah, same question. However, if they can see something, then computer screens can magnify any cases. It would just take forever to do, though.

TLFKARG

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005, 09:57:45 PM »
I was searching users on lawschoolnumbers.com and I clicked on Can101 (last years application cycle)...This user had a 153 lsat and 3.5 gpa (I beleive) and got accepted into several tier 1 schools...Is this legit?

I'm not sure if this is the same person, but after the astonishment died down I reread and found out she was also blind.  Talk about feeling like an ass...

how the hell can a blind person go to law school?  are they going to convert every casebook to braille?

Depends on 'how blind' they are, I would assume. If completely blind, then yeah, same question. However, if they can see something, then computer screens can magnify any cases. It would just take forever to do, though.

We have a woman in our class who is visually impaired.  She has special computer programs that contain our reading assignments and enlarge all the characters in her notes so that she can see them by leaning close to the computer screen.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 06:07:32 AM »
Yeah, one of the grad students in my Classics department is blind/visually impaired.  In order to grade papers/read for class, he puts his books/papers under a magnifier that shows about 2-4 works in each frame.  I can't imagine having to deal with that.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 04:01:49 PM »
If they're a black woman its totally believable. Being an african american woman seems to be a meal ticket. Maybe I should tell adcoms that. It really sucks for everyone else. I mean I grew up poor in rural southwest Georgia, went to the Marines, then worked my way through college in only 3 years. But am I crazy enough to think that I'll even get a whiff from tier one schools? Heck no. I'm white, so even though I had a disadvantaged life, I've got no shot because I can't do Logic games to save my life. Oh well cheers to black women everywhere. (but I'm not bitter) Ha ha.

Yea, sure you're not bitter.  This is the one time I find myself in agreement with Slobe.  It doesn't bother me either.

You know what you all are missing though?  That this entry was most likely fake.  I can't believe ya'll trust LSN.  People plant entries on the site all the time -- white men who are angry about AA.  Noboyd going to get into T14 with a 153, Period...  Unless they were undersecretary of the interior or something... or had parents with the last name "Bush."

People plant entries on LSN so white men will get all excited about how badly they're being discriminated against, and ya'll are falling right into it -- ya CHUMPS! 

TLFKARG

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2005, 05:44:45 PM »
If they're a black woman its totally believable. Being an african american woman seems to be a meal ticket. Maybe I should tell adcoms that. It really sucks for everyone else. I mean I grew up poor in rural southwest Georgia, went to the Marines, then worked my way through college in only 3 years. But am I crazy enough to think that I'll even get a whiff from tier one schools? Heck no. I'm white, so even though I had a disadvantaged life, I've got no shot because I can't do Logic games to save my life. Oh well cheers to black women everywhere. (but I'm not bitter) Ha ha.

Yea, sure you're not bitter.  This is the one time I find myself in agreement with Slobe.  It doesn't bother me either.

You know what you all are missing though?  That this entry was most likely fake.  I can't believe ya'll trust LSN.  People plant entries on the site all the time -- white men who are angry about AA.  Noboyd going to get into T14 with a 153, Period...  Unless they were undersecretary of the interior or something... or had parents with the last name "Bush."

People plant entries on LSN so white men will get all excited about how badly they're being discriminated against, and ya'll are falling right into it -- ya CHUMPS! 

The post is unbelievable because of the timing, NOT because of the numbers.  I have classmates who have gotten into top schools with scores in the low 150's.  It's not common, but it happens.  We cannot assume that LSN is 100% valid, but we also shouldn't discount every instnace of an applicant with scores in the 150's getting into even top 5 schools.

wrmusgro

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2005, 07:39:54 PM »

It seems that you may be bitter as well. But its alright. And before I state anymore, just let me state that I'M NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE, with my following comments...but... There are a lot of fake entries on lawschoolnumbers, and some might argue on this board as well.  But....you can't deny that there are a rather large number of minority applicants who are accepted to schools with lower than standard numbers compared to their non-URM peers. Take the original poster of this subject, (FunnyFunny)...she was accepted to Rutgers with a 149 on her LSAT. (I don't know the medians or the 25/75 LSAT for Rutgers off the top of my head, but I'm fairly sure that they're well above a 149) Normally, when you score below a 150, its the kiss of death. Now do you think her minority status affected her chances of gaining admission? (no offense to any minorities out there, but facts are facts) Anyhoo....this A.A. subject is soooo 2004. ;D

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »
The post is unbelievable because of the timing, NOT because of the numbers.  I have classmates who have gotten into top schools with scores in the low 150's.  It's not common, but it happens.  We cannot assume that LSN is 100% valid, but we also shouldn't discount every instnace of an applicant with scores in the 150's getting into even top 5 schools.

Ok, you might have classmates who get in with a 158, but probably not as many with a 153.  On the Rutgers comment, I think it's worth stating that Rutgers has a huge spread in 25/75 LSATs.  I think the former number is like 154 -- so 25% of people have under a 154... Fairly obvious that if you have significant credentials otherwise, Rutgers Newark is willing to put a bad LSAT aside.

About me being bitter -- well, I never said I wasn't bitter.  But what I'm bitter about is the tendency to not attack the system, but the people, the URM themselves.  I've seen some pretty blatent racism on these boards -- people going on and on about the "blacks" who they think are stealing a place in their law school.  And they also fall into a habit, I think, of thinking that every black person who is successful is there b/c of Affirmative Action.  This really bothers me.  A couple of my mentors have been older black men, men who had to fight to be successes despite their skin color, not b/c of it.  One of the men was also somewhat of a mentor to Cornel West -- another Black Man who's success had nothing to do with AA.

I have a good friend who's always complaining about AA, and everytime he sees a successful woman or black person he chalks it up to AA.  It really bugs me, like he refuses to admit that a woman or black person is as intelligent as he.

wrmusgro

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »

Ok, you might have classmates who get in with a 158, but probably not as many with a 153.  On the Rutgers comment, I think it's worth stating that Rutgers has a huge spread in 25/75 LSATs.  I think the former number is like 154 -- so 25% of people have under a 154... Fairly obvious that if you have significant credentials otherwise, Rutgers Newark is willing to put a bad LSAT aside.

About me being bitter -- well, I never said I wasn't bitter.  But what I'm bitter about is the tendency to not attack the system, but the people, the URM themselves.  I've seen some pretty blatent racism on these boards -- people going on and on about the "blacks" who they think are stealing a place in their law school.  And they also fall into a habit, I think, of thinking that every black person who is successful is there b/c of Affirmative Action.  This really bothers me.  A couple of my mentors have been older black men, men who had to fight to be successes despite their skin color, not b/c of it.  One of the men was also somewhat of a mentor to Cornel West -- another Black Man who's success had nothing to do with AA.

I have a good friend who's always complaining about AA, and everytime he sees a successful woman or black person he chalks it up to AA.  It really bugs me, like he refuses to admit that a woman or black person is as intelligent as he.

You're right it is the system's fault, and its such a fine line to walk too. So many debates, so many rights and so many wrongs with A.A. But, it is the best thing we have right now, it just  seems that its not always fair...for anyone. But anyway...this is soooo 2004.

vitaminwater

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 01:08:26 AM »
i dont care if i am a minority or not. any way to get into law school is good. if i have to give someone 2 bj's i would! ha ha hahahaha