Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Texas Ding  (Read 8575 times)

TheDecline

Re: U Texas Ding
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 12:50:47 PM »
So how long did it take for them to ding you? I just checked my page and it just says Current File Status: Your application is complete...received on nov 17th and is being considered for early decision.

I'd like to get my first ding out of the way...at least I assume that's what it'll be.

They received my app on Oct 14.

LawSchoolDreams3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 02:39:40 PM »
Javert, are you an Angel fan?

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 04:13:20 PM »
Wow! I guess being a resident v. a non-resident really does make a big difference!

The Book of Montauk (206) says that Texas can give no more than 20% of its seats to nonresidents. On that basis, competition for out of state students has to be intense. Given that there were about 1000 acceptances last year, and assuming that the number of out-of-state acceptances is proportionate to the number of non-Texans allowed to attend, only 200 people outside of Texas are going to get in. As such, it's quite possible to be dinged by Texas but get into numerically tougher schools.

OTOH, if you're a Texas resident, you should definitely apply to UT, even with weak stats.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 04:14:41 PM »

Oops, missed this post. Not to threadjack, but it's a fairly good show. It has flaws, and about half of the 4th season was a complete trainwreck. It's not my favorite show, but it's a good one.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 10:58:56 AM »
Wow!  I guess being a resident v. a non-resident really does make a big difference!  They claim that it doesn't, but considering that yall were rejected with numbers higher than several of the people that were deferred (according to LSNumbers) I am inclined to think that it obviously does matter.

They claim it doesn't make a difference? Montauk's book quotes someone from the UT admissions team saying that it makes a huge difference. I also think they say this on their website.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 05:16:34 PM »
Yeah....there was a thread about it on this board a couple of weeks back.  A girl was saying that she went to a forum and talked to an adimssion's person from UT who said that their stats for those accepted instate were very similar to those accepted from out-of-state.  Also, the person pointed out that they can't have more than 20 percent of the actual class be out-of-state but they can accept more out-of-staters (I guess assuming that not all of the out-of-staters will come to UT).  I have no idea of the validity of all of this....The girl who originally made the post might have misinterpreted what the UT person said or maybe the UT person was saying that so as to not discourage out-of-staters from applying.  Who knows?

What is this Montauk book?  What is the name of it?
Attending: Texas

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 05:48:24 PM »
Anybody know of any other books that are worth buying?
Attending: Texas

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 12:32:29 AM »

Oops, missed this post. Not to threadjack, but it's a fairly good show. It has flaws, and about half of the 4th season was a complete trainwreck. It's not my favorite show, but it's a good one.

Not hijacking either per se, but I'm a crazy "Buffy"/"Angel" fan, too.  I just noticed your quote a moment ago.  More into "Buffy", although I was fine with "Angel" until Connor made his way onto the scene.  Blech.  My uncle buys me all the dvd season sets when they come out (it's the only interest we have in common, heh).

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread. . .
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 05:36:12 PM »
dinged at UT-Austin, out of state. Stats/dates on LSN:nekko

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »
How do you check your status online? I just went to their Web page and couldn't find anything other than the .PDF application.  I mailed my application about two weeks ago and they requested my LSAC report on Friday.  I have not received any mail or e-mail from them yet.