Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Texas Ding  (Read 8202 times)

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U Texas Ding
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 06:35:29 PM »
I was an early applicant. Not terribly disappointed since I'd choose Michigan over UT-Austin. That being said I've been hearing a lot of great things about UT-Austin and I certainly would have preferred the option of going there.

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 01:40:46 PM »
I was rejected via letter today. Not surprizing in the least, still classified as out of state, I knew I didn't stand a chance, but I'm glad they took my application fee!!!

Oh Well, now on to waiting for the schools that matter to me!!!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 02:32:03 PM »
Is anyone else actually looking forward to their UT rejection?  I'm out of state and UT hasn't accepted anyone even remotely near my spot on LSN's graph.  UT was my number 1 choice, even above several T14 schools (Penn, Michigan, Northwestern) because I love Austin.  So I couldn't resist applying, even though I knew I had no shot to begin with.  I feel like once I get my rejection letter I can breathe easy because I can completely put the small, lingering thought that I might somehow slip through the cracks and be mistakenly admitted out of my head.  I am honestly looking forward to my UT rejection.  I hope those fuckers don't  try waitlisting me before they do it...

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2004, 12:20:35 PM »
I got the rejection letter as well. 3.84, 162, non-resident  :-\

Shoot, that sucks...I'm sure you'll get in at plenty great places, but out of curiousity, where'd you go undergrad/did you have a lot of EC's and things?
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

interface76

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2004, 01:27:14 PM »
I got the Texas Ding too....164/3.2/triple major....The director of admissions program at come to my school and he said they accept about 40% of the out of state applications but the competition is a lot more fierce from out of state. If you see LSN, there are people in the 150's who were deferred....in state residents..i guess thats a good thing for Texas residents...:) Hope this info helps

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2004, 02:25:50 PM »
I got the Texas Ding too....164/3.2/triple major....The director of admissions program at come to my school and he said they accept about 40% of the out of state applications but the competition is a lot more fierce from out of state. If you see LSN, there are people in the 150's who were deferred....in state residents..i guess thats a good thing for Texas residents...:) Hope this info helps

There is no way in hell that Texas accepts 40% of all out of state applicants.  Their overall acceptance rate is only 16%.  Now I'm not sure what percentage of applicants are out-of-state, but I'm sure it's fairly high.  Everybody wants to live in Austin and it's a great school.  For them to accept 40% of out-of-state applicants, they would need to be rejecting 95% of their in-state applicants.  Furthermore, they are required to fill their incoming class with 80% Texas residents.  This makes those numbers seem even more unlikely.  The only way it would be possible for them to accept 40% of their out-of-state applicants is if they only had a couple hundred out-of-state apps.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2004, 02:27:55 PM »
Burgh-- In context, I believe the poster meant to say that Texas accepts 40% of their IN-STATE applicants, which sounds about right to me.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2004, 02:49:45 PM »
Burgh-- In context, I believe the poster meant to say that Texas accepts 40% of their IN-STATE applicants, which sounds about right to me.

That I believe.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 01:30:25 PM »
There is no way that Texas takes 40 percent of its in-state applicants!  That is ridiculous.  Every single person that I know (from Texas) that is applying to law school, is applying to UT.  Many of them have numbers that are far from competitive but apply on the off chance that they might be accepted.  That would mean that at least 30 percent of the law school applicants in Texas score a 160+. Texas is a big state with a lot of applicants....I don't know any numbers, but I would be willing to bet that a large majority f the applicants to UT are Texas residents.  I know people who specifically moved to Texas and established residency just for the purpose of going to UT. And, besides, the stats for those accepted in-state and out-of-state are actually pretty similar.  The out-of-staters do have slightly higher stats....but not grossly higher.  According to a quote from Monica Ingram in the Montauk book the LSAT 25/75 in-state range is 160-166 and the LSAT out-of-state range is 161-167.  I'm sure that UT does initially defer instead of outright reject alot of in-state residents just to make sure that they meet their 80 percent of residents quota, but I bet that a lot of those people end up being rejected in the end.  They would have to be!  Otherwise, if they were accepting a bunch of Texas residents with sub-par numbers, UT wouldn't have a median LSAT of 165!
Attending: Texas

for-sure

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2004, 03:49:03 PM »
I agree with you completely!

davidlee741852963@gmail.com
Oct. 2005 LSAT: 149 :(