Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are you working before law school?  (Read 3499 times)

altrnet18

• Heading to Hastings
    • View Profile
Re: Are you working before law school?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2004, 11:10:42 AM »
I'm leaving my work towards the end of May. I too will be leaving a bit of a burden on my coworkers, but then again it's not my fault that our current project, which was supposed to be done in mid-March, has had so many complications that there's no telling if we'll be done by the time I leave.

I too won't have much money once I quit - I've been paying down my credit card bills. I guess I'm paying the price for paying with plastic during my college years  :-[

Oh well, I'm still very excited for the idea of having complete freedom before starting law school.

jgruber

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2004, 01:36:41 PM »
Forget plastic and live free.  I learned the hard way.

I'm leaving my work towards the end of May. I too will be leaving a bit of a burden on my coworkers, but then again it's not my fault that our current project, which was supposed to be done in mid-March, has had so many complications that there's no telling if we'll be done by the time I leave.

I too won't have much money once I quit - I've been paying down my credit card bills. I guess I'm paying the price for paying with plastic during my college years  :-[

Oh well, I'm still very excited for the idea of having complete freedom before starting law school.

petepeke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 12:00:45 AM »
Yep.  Orientation starts 10 days after I quit.  Last day of work, visit grandmother in Florida, then it's off to lawschool.  I just know that once I start school and am plenty broke, I'll kick myself for any money I didn't make.  The money doesn't mean much to me now, but it sure will when I'm trying to buy a suit for an interview and I don't even have enough cash for a beer on Friday!

Scotty S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2004, 01:56:26 AM »
I plan on chasing fires around the west this summer before heading back east.  The money is good, the adrenaline rush is better, but working with a toothless guy naked Ike as I did last summer was definately an interesting experience.  My past two summers were definately an experience to remember (or forget depending on how you look at it).  In addition, it will get me into better shape and prepare me for the lack of sleep and constant work of law school.  I hope this will help me minimize my debt amount at least for the first year.  Until then I plan on fly fishing as much as possible.

Scotty
"just because we have brains bigger than monkeys doesn't mean we have to use them."

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004, 09:12:40 AM »
July 31st is my last day.  They are already looking for my replacement.  I really will miss my job alot.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2004, 02:54:47 PM »
Are you kidding?  I can't WAIT to bust outa here like jerry mcquire and leave all these engineers still plugged into the matrix of the 40 hour/40 year/retire on 40% of what you made work plan for the rest of their lives.

If they keep up I might even pull a Half Baked and go around the office deciding who gets the "F U!" and who gets the "you're cool".

But seriously though, I'm coming out of the midwest, going to Law School in Jersey so I can't afford to NOT work all the way up to the end of July.  My firm has no idea that I am leaving and continues to treat me like $hit.  So I be quiet...but when I leave...I be talking again!!! ;D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 11:19:12 PM »
I'm working till the begining/middle of July.  However, about a month after I got my acceptance letter, my work let everyone know that we were no longer needed and is not only letting me go (thus I feel no guilt at leaving) but through severence/vacation/bonus money is paying for me to have one hell of a month off before school starts  ;D

Now if I can only figure out how to pay for the months that I will be in school...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2004, 10:34:47 AM »
schoomp - See that's exactly why I didn't want to tell them anything about going to Law School.  I know these cats. I know how they think.  The minute I announce I am going to Law School I will find my desk cleared an my severence check ready at the door.  I still need about....oh...May June July...three more good paychecks out of these people, + severence package before I head up to Rutgers.

I knew to keep my mouth shut about 2 years ago when I asked would the firm pay for my Kaplan LSAT course (waste of money by the way but different topic) and they said they would pay for just about anything EXCEPT for a Law School prep course. I took that as a pretty good sign to be quiet about my Law plans if I wanted to keep my job.  :-X
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2004, 02:09:06 PM »
Well my situation - I wasn't let go because I was going to law school (in fact I was kept around longer than some since I wasn't easily going to find another job after I left since no one would want to hire me for a month or two) but because everyone was let go.  However, I could see with other companies them not being that nice.  Luckily I work with really supportive people and my boss was almost happier about me getting in than I was (key word almost)!

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhillipBach79
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Phillip_Bach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 10:00:24 AM »
I'll be working until mid-July.  I want to give myself a lot of time to get settled into Manhattan and get to know the City before the madness begins!