Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are you working before law school?  (Read 3616 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Are you working before law school?
« on: April 14, 2004, 10:14:14 AM »
I currently have a full time job (technical sales - yuck) and I can't wait to get out of here, but I was thinking about waiting until the end of July as to get as much cash as possible before bailing and going to law school. What's everyone elses' take on this plan? Is anyone else working right up to the end or are you leaving sooner? I can't wait to give my boss 2 weeks notice!
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

DJ_JB

• LSAT: 145 avg (149 Highest) GPA: 3.07
    • MSN Messenger - j.herron@comcast.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - johnherron2003
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jwh014
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are you working before law school?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 10:22:50 AM »
Plan A:

Well it really depends on whether I get into my first choice.  It is a part time program and I wouldn't have to move or anything. I would keep my current job as a network admin and go to school at night.  But it is still a long shot...

Plan B:

Work long enough to save money to afford a storage place for the majority of my stuff, find a new place half way across the country, and move.  I would guess I would work until mid to late July. 

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 10:24:07 AM »
Yep, for 22 years.   :P

jbshane

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »
I've been working since I graduated from undergrad (2001).  I'm with you, I can't wait to give my two weeks notice.  Walking down the long center hallway of my office toward the elevators on my last day of work is going to be an indescribable feeling.

That being said, here's my situation: I'm a paralegal and have been since December '01.  I've known I wanted to go to law since that fall and decided to work to bridge the gap.  Paralegalling is an awful job (when your final plan is to attend law school) - 'nuff said.

To answer your question: I'm most likely moving from Boston to California, so I'm going to need some time to, oh, pick up and move 3000 miles.  My plan is to stick around the Democratic National Convention (it's in Boston this year), watch the riots from my office (I work 3 blocks from the Fleet Center), and then flee to the West Coast.  The DNC is July 26-29, and I'll be out of town by August 2nd.  I'm taking 5-6 to get across the country, leaving myself around 2 weeks to get settled in an apartment/house wherever I end up (f'ing UCLA and USC, why won't you let me know either way?!?!).

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 11:12:26 AM »
I'm working until the end of July, mainly because the nature of my job is such that I will really screw over my co-workers if I leave before then.  Also, I know it will be nice to have the extra money.  Still, I can barely concentrate now because I'm so excited about moving across the country and starting law school; I'll probably be completely useless at work by the summer.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 11:27:15 AM »
i've long been useless at my job, but will stay here until the end of july as well. that way, i have most of august to do reading for fun, practicing music, and playing a couple of tennis tournaments, hopefully. of course, everyone already knows i'm leaving, since my manager and an assistant director of the dept. wrote recs for me... which is why i think they've stopped commenting when i arrive for work bright and early, at 11am.  ;D

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 11:54:03 AM »
Wow...this message board struck a chord w/ me.  I can't wait to leave my job either.  (as I write this on company time!)  ;D  I will leave the end of June I think.  Lots of cash and then time for backpacking/traveling.  It is hard to leave the money flow.  I guess I feel like I should embrace poverty as that will be the state of affairs for the next 3 years. 
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 11:54:48 AM »
I can't wait to leave my job.  Just four and half years to go.  :-\

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 12:02:07 PM »
Thank God there are people out there like me! I have been a paralegal/female dog for the last year and I CAN'T STAND IT.  I plan on leaving in June and moving in with my parents for the summer.  I can't afford NOT to work, so I was gonna find some chill/fun job for a couple of months.  That outta go over real nice; "yeah, I'm a college graduate, worked as a paralegal for a year, going to law school in the fall...and I would like to wait tables for you". Anyway, this place can eat my ass...it reminds me of Office Space.   >:(

jrmadtown

• 3.31/164
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 12:19:08 PM »
I've had some of this fun already as I'm leaving my job Friday and have already screwed over my coworkers by leaving during the busy quarter-end and dumping all my (now theirs) work on top of their to do stacks.  On Friday I shall hop and skip happily down the road a block to the local brewpub and celebrate. 

However, on Monday I start a new job and its back to reality as I need to work through law school...to keep my house, car etc....

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Go Bush!  (8