Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NC - Please help  (Read 1102 times)

JaCKLoNe

• View Profile
    • Email
NC - Please help
« on: April 14, 2004, 01:51:22 AM »
I need some advice...Please help

I have 2 "NC" grades in my transcript because i changed my major and decided to drop 3 of my bio/Chem classes. However, my school only allows 1 withdrawal (W) and 2 P/NCs per semester, so i had to P/NC two of my classes. I couldnt withdraw from all three because otherwise i would have been a part-time student and lose my financial aid and housing. At the time (Soph yr), i was planning on transferring schools, and that school told me that my acceptance chances wouldnt be affected by the NCs (bio classes had nothing to do with the business program i was applying to), so i ended up getting 2 NCs. I only recently found out that the LSDAS counts NCs as Fs and averages them into my GPA. What can i do? My cumulative GPA as of now is a 3.6. With the 2 F's averaged in, it would go down to a 3.3, which hurts me tremendously (i plan on applying to top 20 schools). PLEASE HELP.

by the way, the LSDAS defines "failure" as credits attempted but unearned. I never ATTEMPTED those classes. I was forced to P/NC because of my housing/fin aid situation. I pretty much P/NCed, then never went to class afterwards. I wasnt failing anyway.

I'm currently writing a petition to have my NCs changed to Ws. But the chances of that actually happening seems grim.. I can appeal over and over again tho.

thechoson

Re: NC - Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 01:58:13 AM »
3.6 to 3.3 is a decent difference, but not a killer.  I'd say do as well as you can on your remaining classes, but concentrate on your LSAT!  If you want to go to top 20 with a 3.3, I'd say shoot for a 170.

Good luck!

JaCKLoNe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 02:02:31 AM »
will law schools look at my UGPA on my transcript? Do you think they will understand provided i give an explanation? Will badly will it hurt my acceptance chances?

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 02:20:02 AM »
Most allow you to add an addendum explaining grades.  Also, you LSDAS also has your Degree granting grades.  Don't worry too much, concentrate on your LSATs.  A 3.3-3.6 is not going to kill you, but a 170-166 might.  So work on those LSATS

JaCKLoNe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 02:24:44 AM »
thanx for the advice. 1 more question...

Is the degree granting GPA my major GPA, or my cumulative GPA before LSDAS converts it?

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 03:27:05 AM »
cumulative.