Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resolve/Explain Dec, 99 LR 1  (Read 629 times)

psingh3

• View Profile
Resolve/Explain Dec, 99 LR 1
« on: November 26, 2004, 05:11:53 PM »
12. Despite the fact that antilock brakes are designed to make driving safer, research suggests that peoople who drive cars equipped with antilock brakes have more accidents than those who drive cars not equipped with antilock brakes. 

Each of the following, if true would help resolve the apparent discrepancy described abvove EXCEPT:

c.  antilock brakes require expensive specialized maintenance to be even as effective as unmaintained regular brakes. 

e.  antilock brakes were designed for safety in congested urban driving, but accidents of the most serious nature take place on highways. 

i had chosen c.  for some reason it didn't make sense to me that antilock brakes are suppose to be more safer but even after maintenance tey are only as effective as unmaininted regular brakes...  maybe i misunderstood this choice.

but why e??? that i don't get at all

???

thankssss   

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resolve/Explain Dec, 99 LR 1
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 05:22:07 PM »
Resolve/Explain EXCEPT

E doesn't say anything about the frequency of accidents, which is what we're concerned with.

The stimulus says NOTHING about the seriousness of acidents.

So.. it does not help to explain the paradox, so it is the correct answer choice.

psingh3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 08:10:35 PM »
Resolve/Explain EXCEPT

E doesn't say anything about the frequency of accidents, which is what we're concerned with.

The stimulus says NOTHING about the seriousness of acidents.

So.. it does not help to explain the paradox, so it is the correct answer choice.

What if it E had said.... antilock were designed for congested urban driving but most accidents  take place on highways. 

This would resolve the paradox right?  HELP!!!  ??? :-[

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 08:14:16 PM »
Correct, because it would address the issue of frequency

dalia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 02:17:15 PM »
c is wrong because it basically talks about the "expensive specialized maintenance " and does not help to resolve the apparent discrepancy.

e is right because it addresses frequency of accidents and how anti-lock brakes play a part in them.

I hope i helped lil bit...

A.J

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 02:55:01 PM »
Dahlia, I think you are off just a little.  C does help explain the paradox because expensive and specialized maintainance suggests that there may be people who avoid the proper upkeep on their brakes, leading to more accidents.

E doesnt resolve the paradox doesnt address the issue of frequency.  It simply talks about seriousness, which is totally irrelavent.  so E is correct.

Do you see that OP?