Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice  (Read 4929 times)

operatke

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2004, 02:06:55 PM »
Ah, ok, thought it might be that...I am just happy to get in, so a scholarship would have been just icing on the cake. ;D

LSATGuru

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2004, 03:19:15 PM »
There's a great movie from the 70's named "The Paper Chase."  It chronicles a Harvard law student through his 1L.

A character named like "Robert Liberty" (this fat, obnoxious loser) is called on by a professor "Robert... Liberty?" "Yes, like the Liberty Bell." "Okay, Mr. Liberty Bell..." and then later on when the protagonist, Liberty, and some other students are in their study group Liberty keeps calling everyone a "Pimp" as an insult (for some reason).  This guy ends up writing an outline that's nearly 700 pages, and the rest of the group end up calling him a Robot for being able to pump out so much work, and finally call him the "Robot Pimp."  It's really damn funny, so I just put it together for my moniker.  He was by far my favorite character and how I will probably end up in law school--so watch out if we end up at Baylor together :P

I'm sure EmSimpson is going to raise the Spring admit stats from last year all by himself. You stud, you!  ;)

Completely OT, but I have to ask: RPLB, what on earth does your moniker stand for???

How is it that everyone seems to know whether or not they got a scholarship?  I thought that info was going out in January...

I am a spring chicken myself, that's why I asked...how did you find out?

My scholarship info was in my acceptance letter. First paragraph: Congrats, blahblahblah. Second paragraph: We are pleased to award you blahblahblah. My understanding is that merit scholarship awards are automatically part of the admissions process. If you weren't automatically granted a scholarship from the law school, I suppose you could still get a need-based university scholarship on your award letter from financial aid? I'm just grasping at straws. I got my financial aid award letter on Saturday, so maybe it's on its way. Don't forget that there are also a coupla scholarships available that you actually have to apply for, and if you didn't get anything this year, just bust your butt and earn one for next year.  :)

emsimpson

• View Profile
    • WEBoggle!
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2004, 06:50:09 PM »
Are you related to Jessica Simpson, EM?  I know that she was born in Waco but grew up in Dallas.

Nope, nor the Springfield Simpsons.  I'm from Michigan, originally, then all over the East coast.  We do get occasional calls from people, too foolish to realize that Jessica's number is unlisted, working their way through all of the Simpsons in the Waco phone book.

I'm sure EmSimpson is going to raise the Spring admit stats from last year all by himself. You stud, you! ;)

:-*

LSATGuru

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2004, 07:10:13 PM »
Pathetic.
Are you related to Jessica Simpson, EM?  I know that she was born in Waco but grew up in Dallas.

Nope, nor the Springfield Simpsons.  I'm from Michigan, originally, then all over the East coast.  We do get occasional calls from people, too foolish to realize that Jessica's number is unlisted, working their way through all of the Simpsons in the Waco phone book.

I'm sure EmSimpson is going to raise the Spring admit stats from last year all by himself. You stud, you! ;)

:-*

UMHBmom

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2004, 07:41:37 PM »
Oooh.... didja really wanna alienate Human Big Blue whose wife owns a coffee shop????? I am not so foolish. I have great use for him in the future.  8)

RPLB, I've never seen "The Paper Chase" , though I'm sure I should. I figure... why scare myself? My friends have tried to compare with Elle from "Legally Blonde". Haven't seen it, but I've been told I'd be offended if I had. I'm not even blonde in the first place.

LSATGuru

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2004, 08:04:18 PM »
If you were comparable to "elle" you would have scored a 179, too. 

Do you have AIM?  If you do, IM me @ MatthewDouglas2.

UMHBmom

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2004, 08:09:44 PM »
:P

Do you have AIM?  If you do, IM me @ MatthewDouglas2.

No AIM. Three kids in the house, so we don't allow IM's on the computer. That's one way to deal with internet stalkers.  :) And BTW... having never seen the movie, I'd thought your name might have been some long, drawn-out foreign name that people kept mangling, like Robert Pimpliberibel. My last name always gets pronounced like something you can order at a bar.  :-\

LSATGuru

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »
Seņor Roboto Pimpiano De Libertadobelle THank you, very much :)

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2004, 08:56:35 AM »

Do you have AIM? If you do, IM me @ MatthewDouglas2.

So...Robot...you're the guy on LSN who's taking up all the scholarship money at all the schools I applied to... :P

I'm kidding...are you just like me, trying for the place that will give you the most scholarship $$?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

LSATGuru

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2004, 12:53:25 PM »
Like every other purchase I've made since I got a full-time job and actually had to pay for things, I'm looking to maximize my value as much as possible.

Someone else mentioned that there have been studies done that show going to a top 20ish school isn't what's required to succeed (financially, etc) after you get out, but just being qualified for admittance to a top 20ish school(and obviously, having the ability to practice by  getting your JD and passing the Bar).

Taking this information and other factors into account has led me to believe that there's nothing wrong with going to a school that's #50 or even #150 even if I get accepted to Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, or any other school in the top 30 or so. 

I do promise you, though, if I decide not to go somewhere I will withdraw my app. ASAP.