Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice  (Read 4922 times)

LSATGuru

Re: Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 10:32:56 AM »
I talk to a guy on AOL who graduated from Case and surprisingly makes less than I do in my current job, as a litigator.

Do I think this will be the case for me... definitely not. His dad paid his way through law school and he probably finished right around the middle of his class, so he has no real motivation to pay off loans and given the class rank I'm assuming his credentials aren't exactly sparkling.  But I guess someone has to occupy the 95% of the class that will be below me  ;D 

Your point about making more money as a lawyer is valid, but there are more practical considerations that need to be accounted for.  If I were to go to Baylor in the spring (which I learned I could, if I wanted to, today) it would give me less than 2 months to learn as much as I can about the school, the area, and the program; not to mention needing to find an apartment, change over my mailing address, license & registration, getting new medical insurance etc... etc...

Like I mentioned in my last post, I would also be taking a big risk as far as other schools I've applied to.  If I were sitting in my first law class in early February and I were to get a call from my Dad telling me that I received a letter from Notre Dame informing me of my acceptance and a $20,000/yr scholarship (and this is not uncommon at ND) I would kick my own ass for being so hasty. 

I counted it up last night, and there are still 16 applications I have out at schools ranked at or above Baylor's level, and there's no reason why I couldn't get a full-ride at one of them.  Baylor only gave out 3 full scholarships in 2002 - 2003, so that's more the reason to think lightening may strike twice.

RPLB: Wouldn't you make even more money (working as an attorney) than $12k if you started in the spring and graduated 8 months earlier?

But I do see your point about wanting to hear all of your schools and pick from them before you make a decision. 

UMHBmom

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2004, 02:31:51 PM »
Ya know, I read that about Baylor scholarships, too. I felt all special, but a quick trip here and to LSN and I think someone musta robbed a bank between then and now. I've "met" at least 7 people who've gotten full rides so far, including you and me but not counting EmSimpson who did and won't say so (c'mon!!). Not to say that lightening won't strike twice! Just chiming in about how Baylor is suddenly a lot more generous than they've been in the past. I agree that you should at least hold out to hear from the other schools, though. I only applied one place, so I'm set. BUT... should you decide to join the spring class, just know that you don't need 2 months to learn about Waco. Hehehe... you won't need 2 DAYS.  :D

operatke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2004, 02:38:53 PM »
Ya know, I read that about Baylor scholarships, too. I felt all special, but a quick trip here and to LSN and I think someone musta robbed a bank between then and now. I've "met" at least 7 people who've gotten full rides so far, including you and me but not counting EmSimpson who did and won't say so (c'mon!!). Not to say that lightening won't strike twice! Just chiming in about how Baylor is suddenly a lot more generous than they've been in the past. I agree that you should at least hold out to hear from the other schools, though. I only applied one place, so I'm set. BUT... should you decide to join the spring class, just know that you don't need 2 months to learn about Waco. Hehehe... you won't need 2 DAYS.  :D

How is it that everyone seems to know whether or not they got a scholarship?  I thought that info was going out in January...

emsimpson

• View Profile
    • WEBoggle!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2004, 06:39:42 PM »
Baylor only gave out 3 full scholarships in 2002 - 2003, so that's more the reason to think lightening may strike twice.

I can't for the life of me find it now, but I clearly remember looking at a table that showed 3 "full scholarships" and something like 17 "greater than full scholarships", whatever the heck that means.  Anyhow, I suspect that full rides are about as frequent as UMHBmom's anecdotal evidence suggests.  Speaking of which...

Ya know, I read that about Baylor scholarships, too. I felt all special, but a quick trip here and to LSN and I think someone musta robbed a bank between then and now. I've "met" at least 7 people who've gotten full rides so far, including you and me but not counting EmSimpson who did and won't say so (c'mon!!).
Yes, I've gotten a full scholarship.  I didn't mean to be coy.  :)

emsimpson

• View Profile
    • WEBoggle!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 06:42:38 PM »
How is it that everyone seems to know whether or not they got a scholarship?  I thought that info was going out in January...

Not for Spring chickens like me.  We start class at the beginning of February, so Jan. would be a bit late...

UMHBmom

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2004, 07:37:28 PM »
Well, if we go by the old numbers, that means that at least 20 people out of a class of 65 have full rides and need to be in the top 50% in order to keep those scholarships. Factor in the number of folks who have half-rides and are just as anxious to keep those and what have you got? 75% of the class trying to stay in the top 50%. I think this is a big part of what makes Baylor the most competetive school, though some have argued with me on this point. I know I have no intention of losing mine, but I'm sure everyone else has the same plan. I mean it, though.... I DON'T require sleep.  ;)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2004, 10:06:47 PM »
But not everyone who gets scholarship money goes to Baylor.  A lot of the people who qualify for those half and full tuition scholarships probably either get into better schools and end up going there or they get scholarship money at other schools, too.
Attending: Texas

UMHBmom

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 11:04:16 PM »
Those numbers were on Princeton Review and based only on those students who were matriculated. <sigh> This might be their overall plan to raise their ranking... offer high-caliber students full rides and coax them away from more prestigious law schools, thus bringing up their numbers. I'll exclude myself from among that number, of course. Not being modest... just realistic.

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 02:44:41 AM »
I would imagine that number of scholarships is comprehensive for the whole year - fall, spring, and summer.  So maybe it's 20 out of like 150 or so.  Just my guess, anyway.  That would really be something if they offered 1/3 of the class full rides, though...

UMHBmom

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 07:30:20 AM »
Of course... I really wasn't thinking last night! That's still only 20 full and more-than-full (???) scholarships for the whole 03-04 school year of about 160 admits. That makes me feel much better! Guess I can feel special again.  :)