Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice  (Read 5077 times)

LSATGuru

Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice
« on: November 26, 2004, 02:26:40 PM »
I got my letter today confirming that I got a 100% tuition scholarship over the three years provided I keep a 2.6 or higher. 

Anyway, I'm working at a dead-end job right now, living at home.  I have become very... sick of dealing with my parents; at 22 it isn't exactly fun having your mom call you and complain about how you weren't home by 6pm for dinner.

At any rate, my question is this: is it possible/would it be a good idea for me to start this Spring Quarter instead of Fall Quarter given that it seems I have nothing to lose?

I have no UG debt, no lease on where I'm living, no real commitments at all--I could easily give my job 2 weeks notice and it wouldn't matter.

Since the Spring Quarter people tend to have lower overall median numbers (156 - 159 LSAT and 3.5 - 3.7 GPA) versus Fall (159 - 164 LSAT and 3.75 - 3.97 GPA) would it help me at all to be in a class that has "lower" averages as it may improve my grades since the professors will be grading my work in comparison to theirs versus the "higher bar" Fall class?

Any insight would be great.

Also, what are your thoughts on the practical end of starting in Spring 05, as far as apartments, or anything else you can think of?

operatke

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling All Baylor Law Students -- I Need Very Important Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 02:53:40 PM »
I am not a law student right now, but I am starting at Baylor and will tell you that I think you should go for it.  That is the main reason I applied to Baylor, so I could start as soon as possible nd therefore get done asap!  As far as an apartment is concerned, I have been in touch with quite a few leasing companies and there are many apartments available.  Also, you can do the Fafsa online and get the results to Baylor within 8 business days so that should not be a problem.  Will Baylor allow you to start early?  I know the deadline for Spring was November 1st.

LSATGuru

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:03:23 PM »
I applied before Nov. 1, but for fall 2005.  If I request to start in Spring 2005 now (not like, late January) I think they'd be accommodating. I talked to Becky Beck on the phone the other day and she told me it'd be no problem for me to start in Summer 2005, so I don't see why Spring 2005 would be any different.

I am not a law student right now, but I am starting at Baylor and will tell you that I think you should go for it.  That is the main reason I applied to Baylor, so I could start as soon as possible nd therefore get done asap!  As far as an apartment is concerned, I have been in touch with quite a few leasing companies and there are many apartments available.  Also, you can do the Fafsa online and get the results to Baylor within 8 business days so that should not be a problem.  Will Baylor allow you to start early?  I know the deadline for Spring was November 1st.

operatke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »
Then I would say definitely do it.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 04:11:43 PM »
Congrats.  I know I'd go for a Spring start.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

UMHBmom

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 06:47:42 PM »
Looks like the Spring class is gonna be fun! But you forgot to take one thing into consideration when you were thinking that you'd have less competition in the spring:EmSimpson, Mr. 3.92/178. Not that I'm scared or anything! :P

mercutio_13

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 07:01:01 PM »
Go for it man.  I'd love to do the same, but my wife is a teacher and it's not fair to her to just up and move halfway through the school year.  Also, she teaches 4-year-olds, and the teacher is the one constant in their educational lives right now.  It's not fair to them either.

Were I a single man, however, my butt would be in a chair right next to yours, and we could both make up terrible rumors about emsimpson. (y'know, just to level the playing field a little)

(I'm just kidding, em.  Don't give me a lifetime coffeehouse ban or anything!!)

UMHBmom

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 07:09:11 PM »
I don't think much of the LSAT either (so you can figure out the order in which 12 random clowns exit the four doors of their midget clown car? Bully for you!). It's the whole getting a 3.92 GPA in math AND a 178 that scares the poo outta me....  ;) The man must be the human equivelent of Big Blue. So I'll just have to be the human equivalent of the Energizer Bunny to keep up. Maybe I should start developing a coffee habit.

UMHBmom

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 07:52:16 PM »
I haven't made millions of dollars and bagged dozens of women up to this point by getting afraid because someone might beat me.

His ass is mine.

YEAH! What he said! Except for the "dozens of women" part....  :-\

And, uh... the "millions of dollars part".

texas1

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 08:42:20 PM »
His ass is mine.

Be careful, Baylor doesn't approve of the "guy/guy" thing.....