Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions for a good LS prep book  (Read 1173 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a good LS prep book
« on: April 13, 2004, 05:17:10 PM »
I've heard a lot about these books that everyone is reading (PLS, etc.) and want to know what people suggest for an entering 1L. It seems that a good portion of these books are dedicated to "getting in" whereas I am more interested in advise and tips for "once you are in". What books devote most of their material to the latter category but have meaningful and valuable content? I would like to hear peoples' comments on this.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a good LS prep book
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 05:22:24 PM »
I have read PLS, but I also read LAw School COnfidential and thohgt it was very good

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 12:18:58 AM »
Is Law School Confidential a quasi expose?  Or does it give good advise?

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 12:23:26 AM »
excuse me for being clueless but whats PLS?

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 12:50:54 AM »
IMO, three of the best books to read before going to law school:

Law School Confidential
Law School Insider
Getting to Maybe

I've also heard good things about Law School for Dummies, but I don't really know too much about that one.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 01:04:38 AM »
I'm going to read Law school for dummies and getting to maybe.  Other than that, I'm gonna read primers on the first semester subject, and some books I've just always wanted to read:  Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the Aeneid, The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides, and then if I have the time some Dostyovsky (crime and punishment is my favorite book) and the five rings by Mushashi.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 01:48:35 AM »
I'm going to read Law school for dummies and getting to maybe.  Other than that, I'm gonna read primers on the first semester subject, and some books I've just always wanted to read:  Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the Aeneid, The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides, and then if I have the time some Dostyovsky (crime and punishment is my favorite book) and the five rings by Mushashi.
How does that all encompassing IR quote go, "The strong do what they can, and the weak suffer what they must?"  something like that?  kind of sums up this whole law school app process

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 10:13:57 AM »
excuse me for being clueless but whats PLS?

Planet Law School - I'm reading it now.  There are a couple of discussions about it on this site, including one on the student side.

The author Atticus Falcon feels that law schools are geared to subject you to a rite of initiation rather than educate you and he offers, basically, what they should be teaching you and a long list of books to help.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:16:18 AM »
I think that a lot of the sadism of law professors is due to the "I had to do it, so you do too" mentality. I have to admit though, lawyers don't have to go through nearly as much as doctors. I've never heard of a lawyer being forced to do a 36 hour shift.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 10:18:32 AM »
I think that a lot of the sadism of law professors is due to the "I had to do it, so you do too" mentality. I have to admit though, lawyers don't have to go through nearly as much as doctors. I've never heard of a lawyer being forced to do a 36 hour shift.

I suspect that you're right about the sadism.  Planet Law School suggests that law school profs think of themselves as elite thinkers and the anguish they force upon students is the best method for discovering which students are natural legal thinkers.