Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To work or study..that is the question!  (Read 934 times)

BrieGersh

• View Profile
To work or study..that is the question!
« on: April 13, 2004, 03:40:51 PM »
Hey all...

I am in a bit of a predicament and I need some advice. I planned on going to law school for a long time now, but I was really disappointed with my LSAT scores. I decided to apply anyway. Of the nine schools I have applied to I have only been accepted to one (Creighton) with very little money, on hold at two (Penn State and Case Westerm), reject from two ( U of Missouri and Tulane), and still waiting on four (Denver, Houston, Villanova, and FSU). In the mean time I posted a resume on Monster, Hotjobs, and a few other sites. I hadn't heard anything from the job prospects until now. Now, I am in the final phase of interviews at a large business consulting firm. Here is my question... do I take the job and postpone law school, or just suck it up take the 100,000 of debt and go to law school??? One of my options is to wait a couple of years and take the LSAT's again (I have already taken it twice). But then again will I be able to compete with the scores that will be require in three years?
Anyone have a suggestion????

Brie

3.61/154

jgomez

Re: To work or study..that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 03:51:59 PM »
i would go to the school you got in to, do well the first, year, and apply for a merit scholarship and hopefully, not graduate with too much debt.  or even transfer after the first year to a better school.

the problem is, there are so many unknowns. 
1)  LSAT - You may not get a better score, and plus, you've already taken it twice.  Most schools take the average, so even if you did well the 3rd time around, you will average into something mediocre. 
2)  competition - every year for many years now, the scores and applicants have gone up in number like no tomorrow. 
3)  work experience - the only plus I see if you wait is you will get some work experience which some adcom will take into consideration.

But if i was in your situation, i would go to law school just for the fact that you may not get into anything 3 years from now, and you will feel really stupid. 

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 03:52:39 PM »
I think that you should go to law school. What's the worst that could happen if you DO go? I can't think of any except that you will go into some debt and not make money for the next 3 years. But if you DO go to law school, you can make this up with higher salary and better job prospects. You better work your butt off in LS though. If you are giving up salary, you better be near the top of your class so you can make nig bucks when you get out. Like I always say, I don't want to find myself sitting at the same desk at work 3 years from now saying, "If only I started law school 3 years ago, I would be done by now."
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

onlylove916

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 05:03:31 PM »
I am in a similar situation.  I didn't do well on the LSAT.  This is my first time taking it and I am debating waiting another year if I don't get into a good school.  However, I am thinking maybe I should go wherever I get accepted and try to transfer because at least I will be in school.  But some people have advised waiting and trying to get into a better school.   I am still waiting to hear from six schools -- Golden Gate, USF, Thomas M. Cooley, University of Detroit, Wayne State and University of Toledo.  Any advise?

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 01:46:44 AM »
well, i think one question that needs to be answered is if there are any other people in this equation like a spouse, significant other, or children. i'm guessing no on the children issue, so if there's a spouse or significant other, i'd weigh in those factors as well as the monetary ones. i personally am thinking of going the PT route and doing the whole tuition reimbursement thing.

it's gonna be hard when i do this because it'll mean that i have to leave my mom who i've been watching out for over the past 7yrs of my life, but if i don't, then i'm sure she'll feel guilty or that she's held me back for too long. and since a lot of anything i've ever done monetarily has gone in helping her out, i'll still have a good amount of student loans to consider. i don't wanna come outa law school w/a new house or luxury car w/all the bells n' whistles...w/o the car or house. lol

just thoughts. :)
aj

onlylove916

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 02:17:41 PM »
Well, good news!!  I have just been accepted to the University of Detroit Mercy!  I still have several schools to hear from but at least I know I can go to law school this fall.  I am very excited!!!!!!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 10:54:29 AM »
depends on your motivation to go to law school.  if you really wanted to go, i dont think you would have this question.  at this point, id be glad to get into any law school...id drop my position in a heartbeat to go (and i have a pretty good job). 

look at it this way...

you will potentially have a job offer in this economic climate...thats saying a lot about your credentials.  later on, if you do go to law school and end up despising it, it wont hurt you to go back to the workforce.  obviously you have the skills needed to find a decent job.  and they say that in a year or two, the job market will be looking much better.  personally, i think its a win-win situation...and being optimistic is the only way to live.

take a chance...youre not getting any younger :)

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'