Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are you "Non Traditional"  (Read 25773 times)

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you "Non Traditional"
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
i would guess that a lot of people go to law school for the money potential later...although it does seem a little counter intuitive in light of the potential debt that we might accrue. certainly makes a strong case for following the money that schools offer you instead of the rank/prestige of the school!

Is in non-traditional to become a lawyer stricly to obtain a better salary quicker?  Wondering about this.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2005, 07:46:45 PM »
Why am I Non Traditional?

I graduated undergrad in 1996, with a less than stellar GPA. I was working in law enforcment at the time and had a pretty much guaranteed job after I graduated. Moved to Alaska for a while, came back to San Diego and went back to work for my Police Department (Had been there 3 years already as a student). Worked full time for a few years before deciding I was bored with work and my marriage. Applied to law school because it was the only graduate entrance exam that didn't have math on it, and for a lack of anything better to do. Got a LSAT score worthy of a 4th Tier LSAT scholarship so I took it. And left my husband in the meantime (totally unrelated only not really).
After a year in school, was still dealing with the divorce, took a year off. Went back to school made honor roll (yay me). Joined the Army, got injured in the Army, got booted from the Army (Bye bye JAG dreams) got frustrated and burnt out. At the same time my at the time fiancee went to Korea for 2 years so I went with him, left school.

Always wanted to go back, in the back of my mind, but decided no school was going to take me when I just up and left.. twice. Plus, I already did half the program, why would I want to go through it all again?

A move overseas, a child, 3 other moves in the US later (one to Washington D.C.) and several years later and I can't escape my desire to be a lawyer. So much so that I went and talked to the admissions director at the one and only local law school (my only option since my husband is stationed here). Told me I was a shoe-in with a 150 or above LSAT (had a 152 the first time) and they would welcome me, though I would have to repeat EVERYTHING, including LSAT.

So off I went to take the LSAT again, (154) and now here I am, 31 years old, married the second time, mother of a 2 year old, 8 years of law enforcement including working in post 911 washington dc law enforcement. Multiple moves including a stint on the DMZ, a stint as a paralegal, and about to start law school again in about 2 weeks (spring 2006).

If I was 'non traditional' the first time around (graduating undergrad in 1996 starting law school in 1999), then I am most definitely non traditional NOW :)

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

lsatsucks1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2005, 09:42:49 PM »
Turned 42 two weeks ago.  Am married with two boys(14 yrs and 12 yrs).  My younger son has Autism.  Decided to go to law school two yrs ago and that's when my battle with LSAT started.  Took it for the first time almost 2 years ago and did poorly.  Have been studying ever since and am getting better but still a battle.  Need to score 155+ to get in to my first choice LS and my highest diagnostic was 160.  Timing is always an issue although it's getting much better.  English being my second lannguage does not help.  LR is my best section and RC my worst with LG being the deciding factor on my total score.  Scheduled to take the exam in Feb 06 for Fall 07 admission.  Best of luck to everyone and don't give up.  If I can do this, almost anyone else can...

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2005, 10:52:16 PM »
i am the bastard son of a african american math professor and a high school drop-out. i have a twin brother. i started school in 1991 as a history major. i was a 'c' student with little room for error. i got mono one semester and failed all my classes. i have just now graduated with a bs in biochemistry. i have had to work full-time throughout my second stint at undergrad. i have @ 20k in total loan debt (most of its from that first school) where as my brother has a master's and close to 100k in debt.

oh. i also have a 728 credit score.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

plato2006

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2006, 01:24:41 AM »
i feel better seeing other 31 year olds here.  single, never-married, kick-boxing never panned out, and i'm still waiting for that "dare to be great" situation.  i designed t-shirts, let SED kids bite me as a counselor, and finally got around to pursuing an advanced degree... law.

what i want to know is, how many other non-trads will be in our class, percentage wise?  is there a school out there that loves us more than others?  i'm just worried that my late night prowess ain't what it used to be... and it will be nice to find kindred spirits.
it's all in the reflexes

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2006, 02:48:09 AM »
Great thread!  Congrats to all of you on your inspiring and often heart-warming stories. 

I guess like everyone else I am non-traditional because I am old (38)!  Also I am one of the few people applying to law school who has a job that many lawyers are very jealous of: I am a golf pro.  Yes, that means that some days my "work" consists of playing golf.  Other days it does not.

But there are not a lot of intellectual challenges in the golf business and I don't feel I am fully utilizing my talents or making the world a better place.  So this fall I took the LSAT more or less on a whim -- signed up on the last possible day, never really studied or practiced or anything, didn't think I would really apply, much less go, to law school  -- but since I took the LSAT I have been thinking more and more about law school and intellectual challenges and actually helping people live better lives. 

Also, I am not a great golfer.  I don't play in the same tournaments as Tiger and Phil and Ernie and so forth, and I don't do very well in the  tournaments I do play in.  I think I have a lot more legal talent than golf talent and that I could be a great lawyer or judge someday.

So now I am probably the only person in the world who wasn't even thinking about law school last August yet is now hoping to miraculously be accepted at Yale (something like 18% chance based on the numbers).  Boy I hope some of those admittance prof's are golf junkies with a soft spot for career changing underachievers!!

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2006, 07:09:09 AM »
You guys are very inspirational... I'm not really non-trad, but sometimes I feel like it when I read these boards. I've been out of school for 6 years, have lived in 3 major cities since graduation and have done things from bartend to work for a motivational speaker to graphic designer... some odd pre-law experiences!

But anyway, it's going to be very interesting to see how schools value my experiences, if they'll think I'm a scatter-brain or if they'll recognize that I was testing the waters and exploring how far my skill set would stretch. I know I feel way more prepared for LS now than I ever did before, I just hope that comes across!

Anyway, I wanted to wish you guys the best, it is very impressive to see where you are all coming from and why you want to go to LS now, good luck!
UVA '09

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2006, 08:27:43 AM »
But anyway, it's going to be very interesting to see how schools value my experiences, if they'll think I'm a scatter-brain or if they'll recognize that I was testing the waters and exploring how far my skill set would stretch. I know I feel way more prepared for LS now than I ever did before, I just hope that comes across!

I feel your pain, since I have a rather varied work history as well. I have been out of school for more than 7 years, worked in IT-related jobs for about 2.5 years, went back to school to get a MA in English Education while doing some work writing and editing, taught ESL in Japan for two years, and am now doing writing/editing work again because I can't bare the thought of going back into a public school in this area. I've actually been considering law school for 4 years but wasn't ready to go back until now.   

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2006, 08:31:28 AM »
i feel better seeing other 31 year olds here.  single, never-married, kick-boxing never panned out, and i'm still waiting for that "dare to be great" situation.  i designed t-shirts, let SED kids bite me as a counselor, and finally got around to pursuing an advanced degree... law.

what i want to know is, how many other non-trads will be in our class, percentage wise?  is there a school out there that loves us more than others?  i'm just worried that my late night prowess ain't what it used to be... and it will be nice to find kindred spirits.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Northwestern likes work experience, but it's still relatively young, age-wise. I'm applying there, just because.

A lot of the schools with part-time programs will have more older students, because those are often the ones that need to continue working. I know where I live, there's also South Texas College of Law which tends to cater to older students, too. A lot of professionals go back there to get their law degree.

Personally, I'm going to be 34 by the time I start in 07, so I'm hoping that I won't be too far disconnected from the other students. I tend to look and act young, but I don't have the same.... lack of gravitas that some folks in their early 20s do.

And to jump threads... the preparation for law school.. definitely. I didn't take school seriously ten years ago. I do now.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
Great thread!
:)

I was starting to think I was the only one out there!

27 - married - six month old little girl

Got my engineering degree from U. of Texas back in 2001...worked in Finance after that...masters in Project Management...started a franchising company with my hubby while working full time.  If you can't tell, I like to keep busy :)

Glad to find you all!

Anyone else out there NOT want to go to a top school so that you can balance your family life, or am I the only one?????