Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are you "Non Traditional"  (Read 25479 times)

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you "Non Traditional"
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2005, 11:29:23 AM »
i'm 26. with 19 years work experience.

Care to elaborate about your professional responsibilities at the age of 8?
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

MASONDAV2004

• 3.98/165 (readjusted after LSAC screws me!)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »
I just turned thirty, am single, graduated with my BA in 2004, and am studying econ. part time (2nd bachelors).  I've got about ten years work experience as a professional- 7 yrs as a commercial painter and 3 yrs as a circulation clerk at the local college library.  I've done lots o travelling and stuff, and did work in Chican@ Studies as a UG (even though I'm a caucazoid).  Moved out of my home state in 98 and have been living in Colorado since then. 

So I guess I'm non-trad in that I've been a part of the workforce for a while, went to school later in life, and have done a bit of travelling throughout these United States.  Not as non-trad as some, but non-trad nonetheless.
LSAT: 158, 165... Addendum (p-tests 163, 165, 170, 172, 172.)
GPA: 3.98

LSN: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=masondav2004

Looboodooboo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »
I am a 27, married and spent 4 years as a carpenter before beginning college where I obtained a B.S. in Biology at Washington State University (3.66 GPA) and a B.S. in Biochemistry from the University of Washington (2.9 GPA).  I scored a 172 on the LSAT. Also, by the time I matriculate, I will have been two years out of college (which took 5 years for me).

Though I have certain strengths to my application (e.g. award-winning research, extensive teaching/tutoring, high LSAT), I had planned on medical school since I was 13 and finally realized in the last several months that it simply was not where my heart was, and so I may appear less consistently motivated towards law than other students (though it was on my mind all throughout undergrad as an option).  I love the rigor and dynamicism of law study and hope to practice intellectual property, environmental or international law.

Finally (and this is the kicker), in the two years since I graduated from high school in 1996 I was convicted of Minor in Possession twice, DUI and Possession of Marijuana.  In addition, I was charged with another DUI (I was under the legal limit, but was under 21, so you get one anyway) and Possession of Marijuana in June 1998.  (Yes, that is 6 crimes).  I obtained deferral of the last charges by acknowledging my substance abuse problem (pot and alcohol only) and completing outpatient treatment and 5 years of supervised probation including random urinalyses. 

I have not touched either alcohol or marijuana now for over 8 years (and have 5 years of UAs to substatiate it), but I fear my application may get cut out of hand b/c of my past behavior.  Though I have severe socioeconomic and family factors (violence, drugs, alcohol, chaos) that might attenuate my behavior (not excuse it, though) in a well-written personal statement, I am anxious regardless.  I have checked, and with my successful recovery, I am eligible (with some serious explaining) to be admitted to the bar (all misdemeanors, long record of accomplishment since).

vitaminwater

« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »

at 7 years old, started worked with my momma folding towels and cleaning bathrooms as a housekeepers assitant. then couldnt go to high school cause had to work for my parents to keep the overhead way down, during the last years of mortgage for their business. paid off now! hoping to go to ls.sooooooon.

vitaminwater

« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2005, 04:35:47 PM »

at 7 years old, started worked with my momma folding towels and cleaning bathrooms as a housekeepers assitant. then couldnt go to high school cause had to work for my parents to keep the overhead way down, during the last years of mortgage for their business. paid off now! hoping to go to ls.sooooooon.

i mean, started working. not started work. hee hee.

tigergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2005, 11:17:09 PM »
What makes me non trad:
28- single no kids
graduated from Auburn in 1999
graduated with MS in Human Resources in 2003
Have been working in HR for the last 5 years.
In researching higher levels of HR management positions a lot of folks seem to have JDs
I have always wanted to go to LS and now seems to be the perfect time.
Looking forward to a break from the 9-5 rat race (not that life as a 1L would really be a break ;D)!

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2005, 07:32:34 AM »
I am a law enforcement officer in Southern New Jersey.  I am 31 and will be 32 and married very soon.  I've always wanted to go to law school, but got derailed by immaturity during my first stint at undergrad.  My soon to be wife, having her MBA, has told me to get into the best school I can and that shw would move anywhere.  We have no kids so it shouldnt be that bad.

Good Luck to everyone on the board

hb1996

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2005, 03:52:32 AM »
First of all, I wish I had discovered this group a lot earlier... and not to sound like anyone's mom, but I am so proud of the mothers and fathers who are choosing to go back to school... you are truly an inspiration and put my own set of challenges/insecurities in greater perspective.

So:
I am 31 years old.
I've been a journalist for 7 years, having worked at Fox News, The Times (of London), now currently a producer at CNN. I've worked in the broader category of media for almost 10 years. I am interested in becoming a legal advocate for fair media practices, especially in developing countries such as my native Vietnam.

I wouldn't be so anxious about this application process if it werent for my lsat. I asked an admissions officer if scores from older students are somehow weighted differently in light of the fact we've been out of test-taking mode for so long. She did concede it's well documented that older applicants on average score lower than younger ones. And it's well documented the rampant grade inflation that has occurred in the last decade. So, for what that's worth, it's given me some hope that for non-trads, soft factors can sometimes compensate for weaker numbers. Not much hope, but I'll take what I can get.

jashdey

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2005, 03:01:02 PM »
I'm 31, married, no kids.
Went to medical school right out of college but quit shortly into it as I was completely burnt out on school.  Since then have been working, mostly in biotech areas.  I've looked at other graduate programs in the past and only this year decided to apply to law school.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2005, 03:34:20 PM »
Hey hb --

That's great you're going to law school. I was a journalist too for several years (although I never worked for any big names).
I'm a 1L now, and I really like it, although it is humbling because you are just like anyone else in law school, it doesn't matter what you did before  :(

Good luck with everything  :)

DB
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php