Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are you "Non Traditional"  (Read 25932 times)

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you "Non Traditional"
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2005, 03:24:42 PM »
I'm 32. Not married, graduated from college in 1995, and spent a couple of (unsuccessful) years in graduate school.Last year of that was 1997.

I work in IT right now, which is rather opposite my education, but I do well with it.

I need an intellectual challenge and I'm tired of feeling trapped. I'd always tossed around the idea of law school, so....
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

molly2004

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2005, 11:28:33 AM »
I'm 31, married with twin one year olds.  Graduated in 1995 with BS in Biology.  Graduated 1998 with MPH in Community Health Practice.  Worked for the last 7 years, hated just about every minute of it.  Every job has been devoid of all intellectual stimulation.  There's gotta be something better out there: oh, yeah!  Law! 

FeelingBulletproof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2005, 12:20:03 PM »
Graduated college, married high school sweetheart, had kids, put husband through law school (he was a non-trad, too). Now if only I get in he'll do the same for me!!

CHOWDERHEAD SLC

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2005, 01:08:05 PM »
I am glad that I found this site - it is rather refreshing to find others in similar circumstances.  I am 35 – married with 3 children.  I have been an industrial sales rep for the last 8 years and finally got around to finishing my undergrad work.  I graduated from W.S.U. with a 3.95 gpa but totally bombed the Oct LSAT (150). I had hoped to attend the U. of Utah – but I believe that my LSAT score is really going to make my chances slim to none.  I had also looked at Creighton, Gonzaga, and Franklin Pierce.  I am still not sure how to proceed – I am thinking about taking the Dec. LSAT in hopes that I am able to do better.  Thanks for letting me vent as it has been a rough few hours since I got my scores. 

befuddled

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2005, 03:17:11 AM »
Here goes:

30-year-old college senior, born and raised in rural Alaska (as if all of it isn't rural!), came out in a small town at the age of 17, began college in 1994, did terribly, and withdrew to enter the work force while I figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up.  Fell by accident into corporate and non-profit communications and development.  Became the executive director for Alaska's largest arts organization dedicated to children, where I served for two years.  I made the decision to return to school in 2003, and have since then maintained a 4.0 GPA every semester.  Miraculously, I've raised my cumulative GPA to 3.7, and have a degree GPA of 4.0.  Extensive history in local theatre and performing arts.

DivineMsEm

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2005, 07:33:57 AM »
I am non-trad because:

-I am 30
-Newlywed-no kids
-Finished my undergrad two months ago
-Left undergrad after not doing well (2.6) and went back & ended up with a 3.5 while working 40+ hours p/w
-Currently in grad school working on a masters in Public Administration
-Live in Germany and have lived here for two and a half years
 (moved here just for the hell of it)
-Work in administration for a university that provides higher education to Americans in the military.
-Have always wanted to go to law school but just now getting around to it

UWHusky

• Woof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2005, 02:15:51 PM »
Hmm, I am 33 with 3 girls and a wife, so I guess I am nontraditional. 

Currently, I work in the health care field as does my wife, but she make a 6 figure income, and I do not.

I have a 3.9 GPA from UW and plan for UW law with a Seattle University Law bail out plan (pul-leese no Gonzaga).  Funny thing, my dad is a "prominent lawyer" in Washington, and I really never wanted to follow in his footsteps.  But…… here I am, trying to make the girls proud. 

I do have a question, and this is pathetic, but my wife is Asian, therefore, my kids are mixed  -- anyone think I could use this to my advantage to quell the “white male syndrome”?

Hello fellow Dawg,

First off, your girls are gorgeous. I'm also at UW, 40, married to a woman from Taiwan, no kids...yet. I think we have a definite advantage to stay at UW Law because they are so geocentric. The %70 thing is true.

As for the Asian advantage. We are not so unique anymore. So I don't see any benefit. You might just mention that you are a great dad and you you got top grades at the same time. Now that's impressive!
3.85 GPA (4.0)Major. No LSAT yet
Never to old to teach an old dog new tricks

UWHusky

• Woof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2005, 02:33:00 PM »
Judging by the number of responses, I have to say I am quite relieved to see so many of us. Here's my story:

Age 40. Married. No kids.

I have been a professional photographer and for the last 13 years a professional graphic designer at one of the Big 4 firms.

I have an AA in design. I got really interested in history and decided to go back to school at age 37. I was at SJSU and transferred to UW this year. I have a 4.0 that is being weighed down by art school grades (3.3). Doh!

Why law? I think I'm at that crossroads in life where I could buy a sports car and try to f%^& 20 year old girls or stop thinking about me, me, me and begin to give back to to the world. I am opting for the high road and choosing the later. History has taught me to love the constitution and politics, so I have an interest in Con Law. Would love to clerk for a judge. I am also married to a woman from Taiwan and let me tell you, going through the INS (Now BCIS) process for the last four years has been some fun. So immigration law is also very attractive.

I have published a book of my photographs. I have been told by a lawyer friend of mine that law schools/firms look positively on those from creative backgrounds because they approach the law differently. (Is that supposed to mean better? I don't know) A history degree has me writing constantly and thinking super-critically. I am looking for volunteer opp's to bolster my app. Is that slimy? I want to help but I also know it looks good. Maybe I'm evil.

Depending on how I finish out my UG and what I get on my LSATs ( I plan to kill, of course) I want to go T14. If not, then UW or go home to USD. What do people think about doing T14 as an old dude?

UWHusky

• Woof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2005, 02:46:41 PM »

I've mainly applied to top law schools, but I'm really nervous right now. I was accepted at Berkeley, but haven't heard from anyone else. My UG GPA was really low for a top school, my LSAT was not that great either, and I applied pretty late in the app cycle. I guess I'd be happy to attend Berkeley, but I'm not currently thrilled by the prospect.
   I'd call that non-traditional...  :P

Awesome story! You could do a lot worse than UCB, my friend.

vitaminwater

« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »
i'm 26. with 19 years work experience.