Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Davis  (Read 8155 times)

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UC Davis
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 05:35:37 PM »
I visited Davis, and i liked the little town, but the law school building was pretty bad.  The library was in the basement, and the "carrols" (sp?) faced brick walls.  I can't imagine studying facing a brick wall.  Regardless, MLK is supposed to be a great library.  One of the mini-malls has a Pluto's, a Border's, and a Jamba Juice right next to each other, so I could have survived :-)
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 07:52:22 PM »
Regardless of the rankings, McGeorge will always come across as a far better school nationally and of course locally.  The only problem is it's very tiny, and in a`bad part of Sacramento.  I've lived in Sac all my life, and bad is not the same as "bad" in bigger cities (if you drive any direction at least 5 miles, you are out of the "bad" area).  Tuition is high, but I would check out their bar passage rate.  That's why people go there.  It's geared towards passing the bar, and if you fail, they will do everything they can to help you on your next attempt.  McGeorge also gets an edge over Davis because
it's a private college, and because Anthony Kennedy taught there. Funny though, I've talked to at least 30 Mcgeorge Grad's (older ones) and when asked about Kennedy, they don't seem too impressed with him, no dislike, just indifferent.   
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Thor

• Sr. Citizen
  • God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »
I find it hard to believe that McGeorge is more respected by employers than Davis. Have you heard this from practicing non-McGeorge grads? What about it the Bay Area itself? I'm sure many fewer people have even heard of McGeorge in the San Francisco firms, though this is merely speculation.
I'm not Thor on LSN

barakben

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 02:51:37 AM »
I am a 3L who did her first two years at UC Davis. I am currently visiting at a school in L.A.(we relocated b/c my hubby got a job down here) for my last year, but I will graduate from UCD.

I definitely have a different perspective on this whole law school thing b/c of my experience as a visiting student. I wasn't able to truly appreciate the friendly environment and work hard/play hard mindset of my classmates at UCD until I saw how different it could be at another school. The students where I am now are all-consumed with grades and all they talk about is who is in the top 10% of the class. It is, in a word, tiresome. 

Law school is really a mixed bag in terms of teaching wherever you go. It is more important to find a place where you can form friendships with your classmates and get to know your professors. A small school is the way to go for that.

In terms of lifestyle, the town of Davis is just as cute and convenient as everyone says (albeit, a bit soggy in the winter). If you can't find housing there, you can always try Sac, which is only 15 minutes away and very affordable.

teoeo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »
Regardless of the rankings, McGeorge will always come across as a far better school nationally and of course locally.  The only problem is it's very tiny, and in a`bad part of Sacramento.  I've lived in Sac all my life, and bad is not the same as "bad" in bigger cities (if you drive any direction at least 5 miles, you are out of the "bad" area).  Tuition is high, but I would check out their bar passage rate.  That's why people go there.  It's geared towards passing the bar, and if you fail, they will do everything they can to help you on your next attempt.  McGeorge also gets an edge over Davis because
it's a private college, and because Anthony Kennedy taught there. Funny though, I've talked to at least 30 Mcgeorge Grad's (older ones) and when asked about Kennedy, they don't seem too impressed with him, no dislike, just indifferent.   

is this a flame or do you actually believe this?

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
Come to Santa Clara