Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Davis  (Read 8103 times)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UC Davis
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 11:46:51 PM »
SF is general kinda blows. I love marin though. I'm more of the outdoors type. ;D

oxygen513

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 06:31:52 AM »
You can't make any judgements about the average salary after graduation.

Clerkships, public sector employment, etc. bring those #'s down.  People who go to UC's OFTEN begin clerkships because of the prestige of the UC system.  Many of them also engage in public interest law, and hence their salaries will be lower.

Santa Clara and USF have higher salaries b/c most go directly in private practice...

bhvexille

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »
That's not true

65% of  UC Davis grads go into private practice

57% of USF grads go into private practice

But USF's starting salary is still higher

Not that I like either school.. just playing devil's advocate

Thor

• Sr. Citizen
  • God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 04:48:33 PM »
Regardless of the statistics, I think those starting salary numbers are pretty meaningless. For instance, maybe a lot of Davis grads prefer to work at smaller firms, or to work at private firms that specialize in less lucrative areas. There really is no way to know unless you personally interviewed every grad at each school. King Hall itself has a great reputation in California and doing fairly well there will certainly allow you to beat out any USF grads for that 82k job, or Santa Clara grads for that 100k job (Unless you want to do IP law. then you should go to Santa Clara).
I'm not Thor on LSN

mazzy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I dont trust molecules.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - foolinevery1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 05:09:39 PM »
thanks thor...thats what i was hoping to hear.
gpa: 3.6 (recalculated) 3.96 (degree granting university)

natural selection, it's only natural

Thor

• Sr. Citizen
  • God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2004, 05:24:22 PM »
BTW, I have visited Davis and I liked it a lot. The law building is a bit of a dungeon, but the atmosphere really appealed to me. the location is great, being near Sacramento and not too far from the Bay Area, but still seperate enough to provide a sort of refuge from the big city bustle. As far as I can tell, it's a vgreat school with a freindly ambiance, especially if you prefer a relatively low-key environment. I must admit that I did not have time for a comprehensive visit, but what I saw all looked pretty good. I do know that it's on my list.
I'm not Thor on LSN

mazzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2004, 05:36:44 PM »
i am going to go sit in on a law class sometime in the spring. i will post my review of it.

i had an ex that lived in davis. i really liked the whole town...and low key is definately what i need in a law school.

mazzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2004, 06:48:46 PM »
thanks sweet..everything i hear makes me want to go there more and more

Davis3L

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 02:42:32 PM »
I'm currently a 3L at Davis. You may want to reconsider going there. Here are some reasons why:

Fees are going up.
Fees have gone up significantly, without notice, since my class started. This is mostly due to the California budget crisis and the fact that they like to burden grad students more than undergrads, and affects all the UCs.

Davis offers few classes.
We just registered for 2nd semester, and a lot of us were upset that there were so few classes offered. Sure there are a lot of classes in the course bulletin, but those classes are rarely offered. Also, the focus here is heavily on public interest law (although there is a decent international law program for its size), so if you're not interested in that, you may want to find another place to go.

Professor quality
Obviously we have a number of good professors. But a lot of professors are just bad. At least one that I have heard about doesn't even show up to class if he has to teach a 1L class.

Rent is high
Consider Davis rent when you think about living here. The city doesn't allow much development, and more students keep coming in, so rent just keeps going higher and there is very little vacancy (although there was some vacancy this last season due to one new apt complex going in).

The building sucks
It's really quite bad, as you've already seen. The only plus is the outlets at every seat and the wireless internet.

The administration doesn't care
With all these issues (and others), we really get the feeling the administration doesn't care about fixing the problems, or listening to student concerns, at all. This is a problem at all schools, but I think it's worse here than other schools I've experienced.

Thor

• Sr. Citizen
  • God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 04:45:37 PM »
So do you personally dislike going to law school at Davis?
I'm not Thor on LSN