Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: presentation topic  (Read 178 times)

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
presentation topic
« on: November 23, 2004, 07:09:38 PM »
Okay, so I put in an application to teach for Kaplan on a whim... and they have given me a "teacher audition".  I need help thinking of a topic!  Here is the description:

What topic should I choose?
Select a topic with some substance, and one that interests you:
. Do not choose a test-preparation subject.
. Do not choose a topic that focuses on physical demonstration, such as origami, knitting, or juggling.
. A board will be available, and effective boardwork is a plus.
. Imagine that you are presenting to students, not to peers.
Examples of successful audition topics in the past include "How to Interpret the Label on a Bottle of Red Wine,"
"How to Find an Apartment," and "How Parachutes Work." Note that they have in common a "how to" focus and the
potential for fun. In the end we are less interested in your topic than in your handling of it. We seek to measure each
auditioner's skillfulness in presenting, as well as your interaction with the group (teachers) or ability to communicate
one-on-one (tutors).

I was thinking about maybe How to choose the right dog of breed.  Is that lame?  Any other good ideas?

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
Re: presentation topic
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:14:39 PM »
I was thinking about maybe How to choose the right dog of breed. Is that lame? Any other good ideas?

No, I think that's a great idea...but you might want to talk about breed of dog instead ;).

I bet they really just want to see what your teaching/interaction style is, so I would just pick a topic you're familiar and comfortable with, and go from there.  How fun! Good luck!

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: presentation topic
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 07:19:29 PM »
That's hilarious...  thanks for catching that for me :)