Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Graduates Working as Paralegals: Is this true?  (Read 1529 times)

bigwig

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Law Graduates Working as Paralegals: Is this true?
« on: March 05, 2003, 05:37:48 PM »
I've heard that there are law graduates who end up working as paralegals? Is this true? If yes, under what circumstances? Do you have to go to a top 15 law school to avoid this?

There's, of course, nothing wrong with working as a paralegal at all. I'm just wondering about career opportunities for law graduates, or the lack thereof.

Thanks.

Victoria Smith

Re: Law Graduates Working as Paralegals: Is this t
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 03:49:45 AM »
Yes, sadly, it's true.  I temped for the past two summers as a paralegal and I met people who has graduated in 2001 and 2002 and were working as either paralegals or contract (or temp) attorneys.  I never asked why, because I thought that would be rude, but one of the other temps once asked and I was in the room...The two contract attorneys, who has gone to Brooklyn and SUNY Buffalo, were kind of reluctant to answer, though.  I think they kind of mumbled something about grades.  However, I don't think it's such a reflection on that school...I met a young associate at a top 10 firm who graduate from Brooklyn in 2002.  

Last fall, I also heard of a paralegal at my firm who had just gotten her J.D. from a school I had never hear of, but I don't know what her deal was.  I worry a lot about ending up without a job after law school, but I keep hearing that if you end up at the top 1/3 of your class at a Tier 1 (top 50) school, it doesn't matter.  And then if you end up in the top 5% of your class in a Second or Third Tier school, your chances are excellent.  Although that sounds pretty difficult.  A good friend of mine went to a top 10 school, and she said that recruiters really wine and dine you during your second year, but I guess you would expect that from schools with those reputations.

I'm eager to hear other responses, though!

bigwig

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 04:39:50 PM »
Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the response.

Just a clarificatory question. What did you mean by this line: "if you end up at the top 1/3 of your class at a Tier 1 (top 50) school, it doesn't matter."  Did you mean that these people are certain to land lawyer positions? I hope this includes schools that are usually in the bottom part of the top 50 but slip out occasionally. :)

Thanks.

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 09:03:01 AM »
I answered this on your other post in General.