Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dogs (& pets) in LS  (Read 2086 times)

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs (& pets) in LS
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 12:40:56 PM »
Cats would be so much easier, but I've never had one before. So I don't know if I'd like them or not. Maybe I should babysit someone's cats to see if I'm a cat person.

The only significant experience I've had with cats was while visiting a friend of mine and his boyfriend, but their two cats would flee the room when they'd hear me laugh.  :-[

bobo21

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 12:43:14 PM »
Cats would be so much easier, but I've never had one before. So I don't know if I'd like them or not. Maybe I should babysit someone's cats to see if I'm a cat person.

The only significant experience I've had with cats was while visiting a friend of mine and his boyfriend, but their two cats would flee the room when they'd hear me laugh.  :-[

My advice would be to spend a lot of time at the pound, study their personalities and find one that has dog like qualities.  You can also ask the people that work at the rescue center.  Carlos (my cat) has lots of dog qualities, he begs, he fetches, and believe it or not he can even roll over.  I wasn't a cat person before, but I totaly am now.  And people who don't like cats at all tend to really like Carlos.  Just make them think they are dogs.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 12:44:20 PM »
cats are great, I've always had at least two my entire life.  if my SO wasn't deathly allergic, I would have two right now (at the parents).  They are so independent.  

Definitely adopt!!!! www.petfinder.org
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 12:46:49 PM »
My advice would be to spend a lot of time at the pound, study their personalities and find one that has dog like qualities.  You can also ask the people that work at the rescue center.  Carlos (my cat) has lots of dog qualities, he begs, he fetches, and believe it or not he can even roll over.  I wasn't a cat person before, but I totaly am now.  And people who don't like cats at all tend to really like Carlos.  Just make them think they are dogs.

Thanks! That's exactly what I need ... a cat that thinks he's a dog! I just always thought of them being so independant, and I'm a sucker for that die-hard doggie loyalty.

RE: the pound ... I have some time on my hands as of late, and was thinking about voluteering at the shelter. Problem would be, though, that I'd want to take a pet home everyday ... and that there aren't any "true" no-kill shelters here in Chicago. But my next pet (and the inevitable ones thereafter) will most certainly come from the pound.

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2005, 12:55:32 PM »
you could become a foster mom, that would be a good way to know if you like the animals as well.  there are a lot of private rescue shelters that use people's homes as temporary stays for animals until they get permanent parents, then you won't have to worry about your new buddy being put down.

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2005, 02:17:06 PM »
>:( I later found out that West Highland terriers are particularly vendictive little shits when you leave them alone too much (it was just 7 - 4 typically). Guess it pays to research breeds first.

I have a Westie as well.  I am very glad I chose this dog, but they definately have that terrier attitude and if you haven't experienced it before it can be frsutrating.  Fortunately, I have a fiancee and a daughter who help keep him occupied.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"

Tristana

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »
I have a cat in grad school and it has worked out well. She is always waiting by the door when I come home. She doesn't get mad that I am gone all day. Also, cats can stay alone for several days with extra food and water and an additional cat box. My cat is kind of like a dog and she has a toy box and will get her toys out when she wants to play. I am definitely glad to have a pet around.

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 09:44:42 PM »
My fat pug's face is the only thing that makes me laugh after a long day at grad school. He and I are in the long haul together! If you get a dog, I would over the summer so that you can make sure he/she is trained and you can help it gradually adjust to you being gone for longer periods of time.
Attending: Brooklyn

inla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2005, 07:12:58 PM »
My advice would be to spend a lot of time at the pound, study their personalities and find one that has dog like qualities. You can also ask the people that work at the rescue center. Carlos (my cat) has lots of dog qualities, he begs, he fetches, and believe it or not he can even roll over. I wasn't a cat person before, but I totaly am now. And people who don't like cats at all tend to really like Carlos. Just make them think they are dogs.

Thanks! That's exactly what I need ... a cat that thinks he's a dog! I just always thought of them being so independant, and I'm a sucker for that die-hard doggie loyalty.

RE: the pound ... I have some time on my hands as of late, and was thinking about voluteering at the shelter. Problem would be, though, that I'd want to take a pet home everyday ... and that there aren't any "true" no-kill shelters here in Chicago. But my next pet (and the inevitable ones thereafter) will most certainly come from the pound.

I agree...when your a dog person its hard to cross over to the other side (there is a possible sense of betrayal if you do... ;) ) ...either cat's drool and dogs rule or dogs rule and cats drool...anyhow...i would either get a dog (shelter dogs are best) before school starts...or wait till after 1L...because you never know how your schedule will be. If you will be out all day and possibly nights...and the pooch is home by himself might make you sad. Just my .02cents

SillyMia

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 01:10:49 AM »
From a person with a pet sitting business, if you have enough $ to be able to cover you when you have long days, then by all means, get one.  Most people in law school don't.  In fact, only 18% of people with pets use professional pet sitting services.  I would follow the advice of either waiting till after law school or waiting until 2L.  I have a dog and it's not just the maintenance (3 walks a day for a six-year-old on top of cost of food and unforeseen medical expenses), but the housing that's difficult.  Unless you own, a lot of landlords will either up the rent (if so, convince them to up the deposit instead) or not allow a pet.  I guess it also depends on the area you live in.

Good luck!