Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just finished my Northwestern Interview!  (Read 2128 times)

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just finished my Northwestern Interview!
« on: November 23, 2004, 12:59:18 PM »
I met with an alum at his law office, in Atlanta for my Northwester Interview today.  It went really well.  He was very friendly and gave me some good information.  He explained the reasoning behind the process as this:  Northwestern used to have trouble getting accepted applicants to actually enroll, partly because they had no good idea what the university was all about.  So, the interview allows applicants to get a better picture of the school, while the school gets to have a better idea of their applicants.  When we were discussing the law school, he said it is a very cooperative enviornment- they don't even rank their students.  Overall, it seems very collegial from his interpretation.  The process, for me, was laid back and it went very well!

buster

Re: Just finished my Northwestern Interview!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 01:00:47 PM »
glad to hear it went well, melissa!  :)

jaxon

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:09:40 PM »
When we were discussing the law school, he said it is a very cooperative enviornment- they don't even rank their students.  Overall, it seems very collegial from his interpretation. 

incredible... this is the exactly what that girl who had the bad interview said to her interviewer and he said she was wrong...

buster

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:12:42 PM »
My interviewer definitely tended toward the collegial/cooperative side in discussing the atmosphere at NW.

When we were discussing the law school, he said it is a very cooperative enviornment- they don't even rank their students.  Overall, it seems very collegial from his interpretation.

incredible... this is the exactly what that girl who had the bad interview said to her interviewer and he said she was wrong...

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 01:20:32 PM »

That's exactly why I made that point, seems like her interviewer was bitter about something...

thorpedodude

• AOL Instant Messenger - thorpedodude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 01:43:48 PM »
Did you feel like your interviewer wasn't really interviewing you?  In mine the guy really only asked two interview type questions (why do you want to go to law school? and why do you want to go to Northwestern?) and I tihnk he talked for more time than I did.  The more I thought about it, the more I thought this was bad since I thought he didn't really feel the need to get to know me any more in depth because he wasn't impressed with me.  I agree with you though that he talked about the collegial atmosphere as well.
LSAT 168  GPA 3.62

maricutie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 01:59:33 PM »
I, too, just had my interview, but I had mine at the campus itself. Niiice campus, btw. My interview went well, I think -- she was all smiles, and got through her list of questions. Lasted about half an hour, I'd say. Some of the questions:

- why law school?
- what are your long-term career goals?
- why northwestern?
- hardest class in college?
- if you could go back to undergrad and do something diff, what would it be?

she also picked off things off my resume and asked me to talk about them at more length.

Hope this helps anyone ...

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 02:30:25 PM »
Thanks, that will be helpful. I plan on applying for 2006. Does anyone know what the general consensus is on how much it will hurt your chances if you choose not to interview?

I, too, just had my interview, but I had mine at the campus itself. Niiice campus, btw. My interview went well, I think -- she was all smiles, and got through her list of questions. Lasted about half an hour, I'd say. Some of the questions:

- why law school?
- what are your long-term career goals?
- why northwestern?
- hardest class in college?
- if you could go back to undergrad and do something diff, what would it be?

she also picked off things off my resume and asked me to talk about them at more length.

Hope this helps anyone ...

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »
My interviewer was interested in why I wanted to go to law school- but more specifically, why with a M.S. in psych am I wanting to go to law school.  He also asked why Northwestern... he actually asked what other school I had applied to.  That was about it- I think we did equal amounts of talking, though. 

From what I have heard, not doing the interview hurts your chances greatly! 

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 02:54:43 PM »
Well seeing how I'm probably not going to be scoring in the high 170s on the LSAT, I I better suck it up and do the interview. I just hate interviewing  :(. With my luck I'll get the bitter a-hole interviewer.

Thanks all for the information on your interview experience. It will be very helpful.