Law School Discussion

UGGH GAMES!

nathanielmark

UGGH GAMES!
« on: April 12, 2004, 07:07:35 PM »
uggh, how do you average 2-4 wrong on several timed sections in a row only to miss 11 on one out of the blue? 

This is why i hate games, i feel like no matter how hard i practice, i can still have a bad run and blow it.  i guess come test day i will just have to hope i have 1 of my better performances.  i dont think there will be any guarantees. 

GAMES!

NerdyLaw

• Loser
    • View Profile
Re: UGGH GAMES!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 07:11:44 PM »
What books/tests are you using to study? If you are using the book of real LSATs, you should do some games sections untimed and learn the pattern of questions and general question types. Don't work under pressure (timed) until you KNOW the games types and question patterns.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:00:18 PM »
The games vary widely in difficulty. If you're truly well-prepared, remember that if you're finding a specific set difficult, everyone else is too, and this will ultimately be reflected in the scaled scores.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 01:06:26 PM »
Games are evil and should be destroyed. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:19:51 PM »
Actually I am looking at now and understanding why i did poorly.  first on the first game i commited the cardinal sin of using my main diagram for local questions, erasing and everything. then i made a couple pressure mistakes from rushing, and i also got thrown a curveball in that my strongest game type (pattern) was on it, but the one in the test was superhard.  i spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what i was missing and wound up not able to fully complete the other 3.

i guess it was a lesson learned.

i also read today that the newer games (post 95) are indeed harder, which would explain the huge jump in my performance when i went to the older LSATs.

NerdyLaw

• Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 02:01:35 PM »
I am so glad I will never need to take that damn exam again... Anyone want to buy a couple of LSAT prep books? Real cheap!

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 02:01:40 PM »
Actually I am looking at now and understanding why i did poorly.  first on the first game i commited the cardinal sin of using my main diagram for local questions, erasing and everything. then i made a couple pressure mistakes from rushing, and i also got thrown a curveball in that my strongest game type (pattern) was on it, but the one in the test was superhard.  i spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what i was missing and wound up not able to fully complete the other 3.

i guess it was a lesson learned.

i also read today that the newer games (post 95) are indeed harder, which would explain the huge jump in my performance when i went to the older LSATs.

call me masochistic...but the games section is my favorite part.  i find them to be quite enjoyable...

the one practice i found myself doing with games is this:  i made the base diagram with all the clues, and then i redrew them next to each question.  it takes a little time, but i found that taking the minute to draw the diagram as a base for each question saves a lot more time than trying to erase, as well as avoiding confusion with clues from other questions. 

my toughest time was with the logical reasoning...i hate that section...

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 03:19:59 PM »
Actually, for practicing i like games best also.  it is easily the most enjoyable section to work on.  its just the one i perform the most inconsistently on so it is a major source of stress.  once the test is behind me, i could actually see myself keeping up with new games on LSATs.