Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Valpo tricking me?  (Read 1175 times)

bataviaSam

• AOL Instant Messenger - bataviaSam
    • View Profile
Is Valpo tricking me?
« on: November 23, 2004, 10:48:06 AM »
I applied to Valpo in early October and received a letter a few weeks ago letting me know my file is complete. Recently, several people have posted that they've received acceptance letters (w/ scholarship offers)from Valpo over the past few days. Most of these people have numbers that are comparable or lower than mine (me= 159/3.9). I dropped Valpo admissions an email, and in their response they told me that "my file will be reviewed in the next few weeks, likely followed by an acceptance letter, proabbly after the New Year." 1) Why won't I be receiving a letter until "probably after the new year"? and 2) Could the "after the New Year" thing simply be a stock phrase, meaning I could receive a letter any time?

Valpo is far from my top choice, but I'm just a little jealous of those who are getting letters. But, I'm very happy for those who have-- congrats again!

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Valpo tricking me?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 11:39:41 AM »
Did they say "followed by an acceptance letter"? Because that sounds to me like you're in.

It's the holidays.  They're getting busy and don't want to make any promises.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

bataviaSam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:51:09 AM »
Yeah, she must've been pretty confident I'm an easy admit. I understand they're busy, but was wondering why I wouldn't hear in the first wave of acceptances.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:08:30 PM »
Some people probably got their apps in in September.  Even though I got my app in in early Nov, I was screwed over having to wait for my LSAC report and stuff.  I bet you'll get somethign before the holidays though.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

bradzwest

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 02:31:37 PM »
Hey this is Bob from California (previous thread) 3.53/154, Valpo full ride.  I started a dialogue with them over the summer, my app was complete in September.  I spoke extensively with Tony Credit via/e-mail.  Like you, Valpo is not my first choice so I wanted to make it clear that a career in public service was my goal and I wouldn't relocate without a significant offer.  They have been great in all areas of communication and I will be hard pressed not to accept their generous offer.  I actually applied there 10 years ago when I first graduated (yep I'm a little older than the average poster here) and they were wonderful then.  I'm bummed that a lot of the chat regarding Valpo hasn't been real positive, I'm grateful for the trade of impressions and info but will check it out myself.  Good luck and hang in there!

bataviaSam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 02:41:31 PM »
Bob, thanks for the insight-- congratulations once more on the scholarship. I find many things about Valpo appealing and will certainly considering going there if I get an offer similar to the one you received. Although my numbers are better, I don't have the benefit and wisdom of ten years of work experience. I guess I'll just have to remain patient and see what they throw at me. Do you recommend corresponding more heavily with Tony and others to increase my chances of a big scholarship?

I too have been pleased with Valpo's materials and people. If they have many people like you, it can't be a bad place to go.

bradzwest

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 02:53:39 PM »
I think you should just enjoy the holiday week with your family and relax...you have superior numbers for Valpo they'll be lucky if they can attract you to their program.  I've chatted on and off with several scholarship types from Valpo.  Most of us had decent gpas, but needed a little help in the LSAT department.  One individual....can't remember the thread on this site had a gpa similiar to yours and a 165, had full ride+stipend.  Your numbers are the second highest I've heard of!  You are in good shape.