Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Valpo help...just accepted  (Read 2937 times)

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Valpo help...just accepted
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 09:11:02 AM »
Congrats!  When did you apply?

I've heard that Valpo places well in Indiana in Chicago.  So if you don't mind staying in the midwest, it may not be the worst option.  However, if you want to practice in California, you should probably go there. 

Honestly, I'm going to advise you to do what I intend to do.  I applied to a whole bunch of schools.  Wait til you have all the chips on the table--who's going to give you what money, where you didn't get in, all that--before you make any decisions.  Who knows, something better may come up!
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

bradzwest

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 03:39:50 PM »
My application was complete in September.  Thanks for the kind words...just got to wait and watch!  Best of luck to you.

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 01:19:31 AM »
i say go and visit for urself, sit in on a class, and grab a student in the halls and ask questions.  i don't know about academics and even though a poster sat in on a couple of classes, i really don't think u can make an accurate judgement.  i am sure u have all been in classes that weren't as hard as others.

also, a lot depends on what u want to do after law school.  firm, public interest, whatever.  it doesn't make much sense to go into $100,000 worth of debt if u want to work in public interest.

basically u have to do whats best for u.  as i said on other posts take the information and opinions posted on this bored with a grain of salt.  do what u need to do and what is in ur best interest.  go visit the school with an open mind and don't let ur judgement be clouded by what other think.

bradzwest

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 12:48:53 PM »
I think you are right on the money.  I tend to share that same point of view and realize that a lot of people use Valpo as a backup.  I was looking to see if there was a poster who really wanted to go participate in this particular school and maybe hear why.   I'm gonna visit after the 1st of the year.  Thanks for the feedback!

Duntov

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »
Full ride, notified early November.  Waiting for others...applied to Valpo figuring I wouldn't have to pay for it so I was luke warm when the envelope came.  But I doubt I'll give up my career to go there...it would simply be a free piece of paper to hang on the wall with little worth to me.
Accepted:  Rutgers - Newark, Denver, UMKC, Suffolk, New England, Creighton, Vermont, Valpo with $18K/year, Golden Gate
Rejected: DePaul, GW, Mason, Richmond

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 02:37:39 PM »
if u didn't want to go there then why apply in the first place?  true its free, but just b/c something is free doesn't mean u should do it.

LSATGuru

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 03:26:06 PM »
A_guy: I don't know, your mom was a worthwhile freebee.

Duntov

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 03:44:14 PM »
if u didn't want to go there then why apply in the first place?  true its free, but just b/c something is free doesn't mean u should do it.

I said I "doubt" but have not ruled it out.  If there was no chance I would go, I would not have taken the time to apply.  That, and I like taking slots away from other people (just kidding...).
Accepted:  Rutgers - Newark, Denver, UMKC, Suffolk, New England, Creighton, Vermont, Valpo with $18K/year, Golden Gate
Rejected: DePaul, GW, Mason, Richmond

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 03:55:41 PM »
i understand.

thanks

bradzwest

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 04:43:50 PM »
Again...every step of the admissions process has been superior.  I've sent lots of them out...and have had experience with less helpful often rude admissions staff at other schools.  Obviously tier 4 have to go after people, but they do go above and beyond (my experience anyway and may have nothing to do with the quality of the education).