Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Valpo help...just accepted  (Read 2934 times)

bradzwest

Valpo help...just accepted
« on: November 22, 2004, 09:09:31 PM »
Full ride no stipend, California 154/3.53.  I keep reading all over the place that this school tosses a lot of money around to a lot of applicants.  Also read chat here and other places that people may not take the offer... Small town/small program/limited Biglaw opportunities/very regional etc.  If you are not chasing a paycheck and long firm hours anyone know anything more about the program before I hop a plane to Indiana?  Valpo is not my first choice (the old LSAT was no help!).  I have other options closer to home, but if they aren't "top 100" why not Valpo?  I've applied in previous years and found every dealing with their staff/students amazing compared to my experience at Berkeley.  I'd love to talk to anyone thinking about Valpo or who had any constructive input!

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Valpo help...just accepted
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »
where do you want to practice?  near valpo or in California? 

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 09:14:18 PM »
by the way, i think you'll find the staff/students amazingly friendly and cooperative at most smaller schools after you have been used to dealing with a HUGE state school.

Balletstr18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 09:17:50 PM »
Congratulations.  I applied to Valpo with almost identical numbers to you (153/3.55), but I didn't hear anything today.  Now I'm all sorts of nervous...  For my own sanity, and everyone around me, I hope I hear something tomorrow  ???

bradzwest

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 09:20:04 PM »
I'm pretty wide open.  I'm kind of a Pacific Northwest bug (most of my apps. are there).  Is Valpo that regionally limited?  Years ago when I was accepted, a local alum even called me from a nearby town and a faculty member called me at home.  Thanks for the feedback!

bradzwest

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 09:23:23 PM »
I have a P.O. Box at the post office, I get my mail sooner than through door to door delivery.  So, I wouldn't worry! Good luck!

Balletstr18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 09:34:49 PM »
Thanks.  There seems to be a gap between logic and panic :)

LSATGuru

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 09:45:01 PM »
I toured Valpo a few weeks back.

I'm looking for a strong challenge in law school.  Valparaiso didn't seem to be that.  The town was fairly dumpy (at least the part that the school's in).  It is 35 urban-sprawl-covered miles from Chicago, so that's somewhat of a plus. 

If you're seriously considering going to the school make SURE you visit.  The facilities are pretty lackluster in my opinion.  It's also a Lutheran school, so that might be a factor.

I sat in on a Civil Procedure class (1L) and I wasn't all that impressed with the academic environment.  The students weren't very professional and it seemed to be more of a casual conversation about Civ. Pro. than an actual law school class.  I'm pretty hardcore, and old-school, though, so take my opinion only for what it's worth.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 09:53:11 PM »
I'm pretty wide open.  I'm kind of a Pacific Northwest bug (most of my apps. are there).  Is Valpo that regionally limited?  Years ago when I was accepted, a local alum even called me from a nearby town and a faculty member called me at home.  Thanks for the feedback!

Congrats!

Have you applied to Willamette? I'd be hesitant to leave the PNW for Indiana, but I know little about either. I do know that Indiana is really flat. As far as I know all T3 and T4 schools are pretty regionally limited when it comes to placement, but who cares? You couldn't pay me enough to live in NY, LA, or Chicago. To many damn people, too little time and space for reflection and living life. Besides, I think most of this school prestige crap is hooey. A professional is only as good as he makes himself. Law school is just a necessary step to becoming a lawyer.

Go someplace you want to live for three years and maybe beyond. And don't just be a student; make yourself a member of the community. A lawyer should be to the law what a plumber is to the town's pipes.

bradzwest

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 10:01:13 PM »
I actually read the tour of the three midwest schools...didn't make valpo look so hot!  You're right though, gotta see for myself. 
Thanks

I also have the app into Willamette, have been there and love the town.  Have apps into Idaho and Oregon as well!  thanks again for everyone's time.