Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Law Schools- Advice needed  (Read 1306 times)

thechoson

California Law Schools- Advice needed
« on: April 12, 2004, 05:25:06 PM »
I think I am resigned to staying in California for a while, hence I've applied mostly to Cali schools and regional schools (ASU, UNLV).  So of the following-
Santa Clara, USF, Loyola, USD, UNLV, ASU  (All 2nd tiers, schools I've applied to), what should be the order of preference for the specific legal market in California (LA, Bay Area, San Diego)  I know this is pretty arbitrary, but I was thinking...

Bay Area- Santa Clara, USF, Loyola, Arizona State, USD, UNLV
LA- Loyola, Arizona State, USD, Santa Clara, USF, UNLV
San Diego- USD, Loyola, ASU, UNLV, Santa Clara, USF

In terms of order of schools I should be considering if I want to work in each area.  Any thoughts, advice, agreement, disagreement?  hehe, thanks!

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
Re: California Law Schools- Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 06:28:43 PM »
From what I have read, you simply need to go to the school in the area where you want to eventually work. If you end up having to choosing between several schools that are not in the area you think you want to live, just choose the higher ranked school.

Question: Why didn't you apply to better schools with your 165 lsat? You could have had a good chance at Davis, Hastings, UCLA.
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 06:38:45 PM »
From what I have read, you simply need to go to the school in the area where you want to eventually work. If you end up having to choosing between several schools that are not in the area you think you want to live, just choose the higher ranked school.

Question: Why didn't you apply to better schools with your 165 lsat? You could have had a good chance at Davis, Hastings, UCLA.
Cause my gpa is 3.2ish- sucky

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 07:53:54 PM »
But that really isn't horrible, especially for UCLA. I have a 3.47, 163 and I am in at Davis waiting on a couple others. I would say that your higher lsat would put us in the same index #. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you decide.

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 08:02:31 PM »
Thanks nola, by the way, what is that thing, in your icon?

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 08:18:55 PM »
Hey Choson and Nola, what schools are you two leaning towards?  If I don't get off of the waitlist at Vandy or get into any of my remaining 7 schools, I'm headed to Loyola.  I'm above their mean GPA but right at their LSAT average and got jack sh*t for scholarships.  I guess they are LSAT whores!

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
Hey Chooster, ooo tough call. 
Well I just applied to Loyola the other day on a whim, haha, so I don't think I'll even get in, though I think my numbers are pretty solid for them?  (3.3, 165)  I doubt I'll get money this late in the game.  But I wouldn't have to move, so there you go...

I am leaning towards USD, cause I can live with my parents and save a buttload of money.  But then again I also like ASU (it would be just as cheap without having to live with my parents, which is a bonus).  I really wanted to go to Santa Clara cause I fell in love with the Bay Area when I visited a while back, but their incompetence is really turning me off.  Besides, with admissions to USD and ASU in hand, SCU would have to come up with some money for me to go there.

So, I guess my pick right now would be either USD or ASU, slight edge to USD

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 11:33:40 PM »
I am going to Davis as of now.  The picture is of a crawfish boil down here in New Orleans. Yum, I could eat them anytime.  Does anyone else hate that feeling you get when you check the mail everyday? I just try to think good thoughts... Here is the hand I was dealt so far.

Pending: Hastings, UCLA, USC

Sent Decline letters to: Emory (too much $), Tulane, USF, USD

Waitlist: Fordham, GW

Ding: GULC, Duke, Penn, Boalt, UT

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 11:59:38 PM »
Pending: UCLA, USC, Fordham, UC Hastings, UC Davis, Boston College and Boston U
Accepted: Loyola (sent in letter of acceptance), Santa Clara (declined), Hawaii (declined)
Waitlisted: Vanderbilt
Rejected: Boalt, U of Washington, GW, GTown, NYU, Texas

I am surprised to hear about Santa Clara's attitude.  I never had to contact them; they accepted me right away and contacted me and kissed my ass like no other.  I visited a couple of months ago and LOVED it, but I couldn't see myself going there.  The school is (unfairly) ranked low, and as a SoCal native, I'm pretty sure I want to end up back in L.A.

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 01:11:05 AM »
Chooser,

Your #'s? LSN has just a blank profile.

THX