Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any opinions?  (Read 1252 times)

AEMommy

• View Profile
Any opinions?
« on: November 22, 2004, 10:36:01 AM »
I guess I am what you call a non-traditional student - I'm 35, have 2 kids (ages 1 and 3) and am a full-time student who will graduate in May with an accounting degree.  I want to go to law school, but am only applying to schools with part-time evening programs (SMU, Texas Wesleyan, U of Houston, South Texas) so I can be home with my kids.  My problem is that my overall GPA is a 2.33 (I had way too much fun the first few times around at college).  I have a 4.00 at my degree-granting school, but I know most schools look at the cumulative.  I made a 161 on the LSAT.  Do I have any shot at getting in??  By the way, until I met my  husband in 1999, I had worked at law firms for the previous 8 years.  At the last one, I worked my way up from legal secretary to assistant office manager and still do work for them a few hours a month at home.  Hopefully this will help!
GPA: 4.00 (DGS); 2.50 (LSAC) - don't ask!
LSAT: 161
Accepted: OCU, South TX
Deferred:  SMU
Pending:  UofH, Georgetown (what the hell), Harvard (what the hell again!)
Rejected:  Not yet

Sonya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 10:46:20 AM »
Your 2.33 cumulative score will show up on your LSDAS report, but I don't think the AdComms will pay it much attention. What I've read suggests that AdComms will treat you-as-a-teenager and you-as-a-mother-of-two-and-a-wife as two entirely different people. If you write an addendum explaining your non-traditional path to law school, they should give your earlier grades much less weight (or none at all, hopefully).

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 10:50:08 AM »
Southern Methodist's evening program is just starting- from looking at their website, they are much more lenient admitting students to the part-time program.

You definitely have a chance there.

Good luck!
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

AEMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 11:35:23 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I feel a lot better.  I was worried my past mistakes would haunt me forever!!
GPA: 4.00 (DGS); 2.50 (LSAC) - don't ask!
LSAT: 161
Accepted: OCU, South TX
Deferred:  SMU
Pending:  UofH, Georgetown (what the hell), Harvard (what the hell again!)
Rejected:  Not yet

HankieB

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 11:47:16 AM »
I can't specifically speak to the schools you mentioned, but I am in a very similar boat.  Crummy early undergrad grades (had a baby during junior year), great later undergrad grades, decent LSAT.  My LSAC gpa is 2.9 and my degree granting GPA is 3.5, 160 LSAT. 

I can tell you from my experience last year (applying to full time programs in tier 2 and 3 in Chicago), the fact that you have done a lot with your life since those early grades will mean a lot.  I got into all but one of the programs to which I had applied (with decent merit scholarship offers), was wait-listed and eventually dinged at the other, but didn't put any effort into getting off the waitlist (long story). 

Since you are applying to part-time programs, the medians for GPA and LSAT are usually a bit lower than the full-time medians.  Assuming that you are applying to schools that aren't top-tier (again, I don't know much about the schools you listed), I would think that you stand a very good chance.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I feel a lot better.  I was worried my past mistakes would haunt me forever!!

I don't think you have much to worry about, especially because you are applying to part-time programs only. The numbers of students entering part-time programs are not used in the rankings, so adcomms are more free to look at the whole picture.

Your later grades are excellent, and a 161 is a very good LSAT score - both of these things, coupled with the fact that you have applicable work experience that more "mature" students (I say this with all kindness, as a mid-thirtysomething law hopeful myself) tend to do well in general, will tell adcomms that you are very likely to do well in law school. I think your chances are very good.

Bonne Chance! :)

captmiseee

• AOL Instant Messenger - captmiseee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 06:04:36 PM »
Write your essays explaining how you matured... this is a no problem situation since you have a 4.0 at your degree granting university