Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW: PT or FT  (Read 1424 times)

caffeine and nicotine addict

• Sr. Citizen
  • Stay back - This is MY piss-pot!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tchnav
    • View Profile
    • Third Tier Toilet
Re: GW: PT or FT
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 06:20:49 PM »
If my comments got you this bent out of shape, perhaps you should seek professional therapy. There are drugs to help you calm down.  :-*
In at GULC PT/ED - WooHoo!

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 06:36:56 PM »
You mentioned chiashu, is that working for anyone?  Not working for me

Not working right now. Nice hijack though.   :)
It's an art.

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 07:03:59 PM »
sej, to get back to the original subject of this thread.... :)

I would definitely say you should apply PT. I have a friend who did just that...he was super-smart GW undergrad who just didnt have the lsat for FT at G-Dub. So, he got into PT program and concentrated solely on law school during his first year (i.e. no part-time job) and did exceptionally well. not only did he transfer into GW's full time program after his first year, but his gpa from his 1L - which was really great because he was able to focus so much on studying - also transferred wtih him when he became Full time. so, he's a 3l now with one of the highest gpa's in his graduating (FT) class. he'll be doing a ct of appeals clearkship next year. Not bad, huh? also, i'm not sure on the detials or how this works, but i know he is graduating in 3 years. maybe he did some summer stuff to catch up?

another thing to consider about good PT programs (especially in DC) is that you get not only the regular professors, but you also get some really cool law profs who can only teach at night - ie they have kick-ass jobs during the day at DOJ, top firms, etc, and would be awesome to learn from :)

OK - hope that helps :)
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

Gummo

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 09:59:21 PM »
sej, to get back to the original subject of this thread.... :)

I would definitely say you should apply PT. I have a friend who did just that...he was super-smart GW undergrad who just didnt have the lsat for FT at G-Dub. So, he got into PT program and concentrated solely on law school during his first year (i.e. no part-time job) and did exceptionally well. not only did he transfer into GW's full time program after his first year, but his gpa from his 1L - which was really great because he was able to focus so much on studying - also transferred wtih him when he became Full time. so, he's a 3l now with one of the highest gpa's in his graduating (FT) class. he'll be doing a ct of appeals clearkship next year. Not bad, huh? also, i'm not sure on the detials or how this works, but i know he is graduating in 3 years. maybe he did some summer stuff to catch up?

another thing to consider about good PT programs (especially in DC) is that you get not only the regular professors, but you also get some really cool law profs who can only teach at night - ie they have kick-ass jobs during the day at DOJ, top firms, etc, and would be awesome to learn from :)

OK - hope that helps :)

Do you know what his numbers were?

eileen2004

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 09:17:14 AM »
I stand by my skepticism. You could also find a bf/gf who's rich and wants to pay your bills. I'm sure both happen, but I wouldn't suggest everyone can do it. It appeared from the wording of your post, that doing what you recommend is a cake walk. I surmise otherwise. If you have it made, I'm happy for you. I hope you can come to terms with my tone. I'd hate to lose sleep worrying whether you appreciate it.
HTH

A lot of companies pay for tuition.  My job has nothing whatsoever to do with law, but the company will cover tuition and books as long as I keep working here more than 20 hours a week.  There's no obligation to stay here after I finish my degree (though there are incentives if I do).  The only requirement is that I pass my classes - if not, I have to pay them back for those credits.  It does limit me to schools in the DC area, though.   

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 09:42:15 AM »
This brings up a good point..

Im interested in staying in the D.C. area and I currently work for an engineering consulting firm.. I have applied to all the local pt programs (GW, Gtown, and GMU).. Once I am accepted to one of these (I like to think positively), I am going to try and swing a tuition reimbursement from my employer.. Normally they only pay for masters of science or MBA degrees and Im not sure anyone has gotten them to pay for a JD.. We do, of course, have a couple of lawyers that represent us that work out of New York so I have a wee bit of leverage..

Im thinking that I might be able to work out a deal if I sign some contract to stay or something..  Now my questions..

1) When should I ask about this?
(they dont even know I have applied to law schools yet)

2) How should I go about doing it?

3) Am I too sexy for my hat?

-D
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

Turtle2152

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 10:10:45 AM »
eileen,

i applied to georgetown FT and am looking into jobs i can get in the DC area.  do you mind sharing what company you work for, or if not, what type of company it is. ideally, i want a job that will pay me enough money to cover housing and personal expenses but doesnt have demanding hours.

I stand by my skepticism. You could also find a bf/gf who's rich and wants to pay your bills. I'm sure both happen, but I wouldn't suggest everyone can do it. It appeared from the wording of your post, that doing what you recommend is a cake walk. I surmise otherwise. If you have it made, I'm happy for you. I hope you can come to terms with my tone. I'd hate to lose sleep worrying whether you appreciate it.
HTH

A lot of companies pay for tuition.  My job has nothing whatsoever to do with law, but the company will cover tuition and books as long as I keep working here more than 20 hours a week.  There's no obligation to stay here after I finish my degree (though there are incentives if I do).  The only requirement is that I pass my classes - if not, I have to pay them back for those credits.  It does limit me to schools in the DC area, though.   

eileen2004

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 10:20:07 AM »
eileen,

i applied to georgetown FT and am looking into jobs i can get in the DC area.  do you mind sharing what company you work for, or if not, what type of company it is. ideally, i want a job that will pay me enough money to cover housing and personal expenses but doesnt have demanding hours.

It wouldn't be a good place for someone who was going to school full-time as the hours aren't flexible.  I can technically get tuition paid if I work more than 20 hours a week, but my boss will never let that happen.  I might be able to reduce my time a bit during exams, but practically, I think I'm going to end up working 40 hours a week.  I also can't really afford to work only 20 hours and pay my ridiculous rent. 

To those looking for a job with a company that has tuition benefits, I'd suggest contacting a temp or employment agency.  They generally know which companies will offer tuition payment (most don't advertise these benefits) and can help you find a job.  I can't be more specific about where I work, but can give you some more suggestions if you want to PM me.   

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 10:24:42 AM »
Eileen works at the CIA!

eileen2004

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2004, 10:43:18 AM »
Eileen works at the CIA!

The CIA wouldn't take me on account of my drug habit.   :)