Law School Discussion

Practice Test, seeking opinions

nathanielmark

Practice Test, seeking opinions
« on: April 12, 2004, 01:25:43 PM »
I was looking at taking a free practice LSAT administered by one of the big prep companies.  I found 1 that is some distance away on June 1, which is 2 weeks before i take the test.

i also found one that is on June 13 (day before the actual test) right near me, at 12 Noon, same time as the actual test.

Conventional wisdom says not to practice the day before the test.  i was planning on stopping prep the thursday prior actually and just relaxing all weekend.  do you think it would be a good idea or bad idea to run thru a proctored test like this the day before?

maybe i should play it safe and take the one on the first?

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: Practice Test, seeking opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 01:29:58 PM »
Relax before the test.  Reading for pleasure is my suggestion, keep your mind active, but still away from test stuff.

Also, I'd do a game before leaving your house, to get your mind in test mode.  Then don't talk to anyone at the test center, they'll all either make you more nervous, or make you feel lousy about your past scores.  Bring headphone with you, and wear them even if you're not listening to music, so people will leave you alone.  I went with friends for the test, and it was great.  We were actually joking around right up until the books were handed out :)

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 01:40:53 PM »
I was looking at taking a free practice LSAT administered by one of the big prep companies.  I found 1 that is some distance away on June 1, which is 2 weeks before i take the test.

i also found one that is on June 13 (day before the actual test) right near me, at 12 Noon, same time as the actual test.

Conventional wisdom says not to practice the day before the test.  i was planning on stopping prep the thursday prior actually and just relaxing all weekend.  do you think it would be a good idea or bad idea to run thru a proctored test like this the day before?

maybe i should play it safe and take the one on the first?

i completely relaxed 2 days before my test.  i would never suggest anyone go through grueling hours 2 days in a row.  i was always a crammer for other standardized tests, but im also a firm believer that the lsat is a completely different type of test that one cannot cram for.  and for arguments sake, if you do take the test the day before and do poorly, youre only adding a whole lot of unnecessary anxiety and doubt on top of the anxiety that you already have. 

i would suggest making very short strategy review notecards (just main points on attacking the different sections) and reviewing those for about 15-30 minutes the day before the test.  i would also do some exercise to wear yourself out a bit so that you can go to bed early and get a good nights sleep (i played basketball and slept like a baby that night).

take the first one. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 01:47:01 PM »
Thanks, i think i am going to take the one on the first and stick to my plan of maximum relaxation the weekend prior to the test.

excercise is a great idea also.  maybe i will go on a long hike that day or something.  my gym is closed on sundays :(