Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you want your child to be a lawyer?  (Read 2053 times)

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would you want your child to be a lawyer?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2004, 05:52:55 PM »
Sometimes I wonder how so many people can have so much trouble with the logical reasoning portion of the lsat.. and then sometimes it's patently obvious.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 06:18:11 PM »
Question: If you already have strong feelings about what your yet-unborn children should do, why don't you do these things yourself?

my outside shot isnt all that great, i am more of a power forward, so definitely cant be a 2 for the lakeshow.

That, and the UF ballers are too good to try to get a spot on the team. Btw, I highly doubt you have the size to be a power forward. How tall are you?

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 06:21:15 PM »
Btw, I walked on to my division 1 team this year (although we are not that good) but quit as soon as I found out how much time is involved in being an athlete in college. It is impossible to mix a full-time schedule (and achieve good grades for law school) and be an athlete. I guess that's just the gamble they all take - even though most end up unable to find pro jobs after they are done.

I'm 5'11, only 155 btw. I have to get up to the 6 foot mark!!

Actually, I kind of regret not playing on the team this year. I should have just said the fuc* with law school and lived it up with all the ballers. Oh well.... :-\

zxcvbnm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2004, 06:31:57 PM »
Sometimes I wonder how so many people can have so much trouble with the logical reasoning portion of the lsat.. and then sometimes it's patently obvious.

*nods*

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 06:33:53 PM »
Question: If you already have strong feelings about what your yet-unborn children should do, why don't you do these things yourself?

my outside shot isnt all that great, i am more of a power forward, so definitely cant be a 2 for the lakeshow.

My outside shot is actually insanely good. That, and I have been known to be a great creator for my teammates. My main problem has always been conditioning - I had a hard time keeping up with the second/third units during practice for the few weeks that I was on the team. The fact that I'm a little bit undersized for the point guard position also doesn't help. High School varsity is a joke compared to college. Quite frankly, I consider myself very lucky to have made the team and I didn't expect to see much playing time this season. We had a couple of excellent guards ahead of me who all have a solid shot to play in Europe and/or Asia.

desi

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2004, 07:00:48 PM »
Why would you give a sh*t about your purely abstract, hypothetical grandchildren? I can understand being compelled by real ties to real people. But devoting your life to a particular career path because you anticipate that at *some* point, you'll have grandchildren and then will want to ensure that they never have to work, seems severely misguided. Why do the interests of people who may never exist preempt your own? There's an infinite regress problem here.

1)  This is how my family has operated for generations.  My grandfather ensured that I wouldn't have to lift a finger.  Just as his grandfather did.  But why should I squander my family's wealth when it's my obligation to myself and my family to succeed so that my grandchildren will never have to work.  I would say that this attitude prevails in most of the good families from India, even if they don't voice this attitude.

2)  Regardless, I will work to satisfy my own desire to succeed.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2004, 10:12:43 PM »
I would want my children to work though. I would hate to have a Paris Hilton for a daughter. This bytch look like she from the Land of Lost. I would slap her and sue saying that her pterodactyle face hit my hand.

I just wouldnt want my children to struggle and deal with bullshiet/bureaucracy.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2004, 10:25:04 PM »
Paris Hilton is ugly.

bluetooth

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2004, 10:32:15 PM »
I want my child to be a tennis pro. Ever since Graff and Sampras ceased to play, the tennis world has become really dull. However, I will not force my child to do what I want him/her to do.

BAFF213

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2004, 11:18:57 AM »
I think I want my kids to be doctors or lawyers.  Sometimes I really wish I had taken the medical (i.e. doctor) route, and I would like to have one of my future kids do it so that I could live vicariously through him/her I guess.