Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you want your child to be a lawyer?  (Read 2029 times)

zxcvbnm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would you want your child to be a lawyer?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 05:09:38 PM »
Question: If you already have strong feelings about what your yet-unborn children should do, why don't you do these things yourself?

foxnewssucks

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 05:11:28 PM »
Question: If you already have strong feelings about what your yet-unborn children should do, why don't you do these things yourself?

my outside shot isnt all that great, i am more of a power forward, so definitely cant be a 2 for the lakeshow.

Verbosity

• Sr. Citizen
    • ICQ Messenger - 117686925
    • MSN Messenger - Pikeman85@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Pikeman852003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 05:13:14 PM »
I don't feel strongly except in that I don't want a child. These are just games to play in my head.
Mr. Verbosity!

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 05:20:16 PM »
We're sacrificing now so our kids won't have to

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 05:30:19 PM »

Great reply.

desi

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 05:33:36 PM »

I hear that.  But in the fine tradition of my ancestors, I'm working hard to make sure my grandchildren won't ever have to work...

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 05:34:28 PM »
Hate children. Don't intend to have any.

zxcvbnm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 05:42:40 PM »

Considering that you (presumably) don't even have kids now, isn't that a bit silly?

zxcvbnm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 05:48:47 PM »

I hear that.  But in the fine tradition of my ancestors, I'm working hard to make sure my grandchildren won't ever have to work...

Why would you give a sh*t about your purely abstract, hypothetical grandchildren? I can understand being compelled by real ties to real people. But devoting your life to a particular career path because you anticipate that at *some* point, you'll have grandchildren and then will want to ensure that they never have to work, seems severely misguided. Why do the interests of people who may never exist preempt your own? There's an infinite regress problem here.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 05:51:12 PM »
I recently read a letter wrote into the Boston Metro paper about how gay marriage is a threat to the institution.

The author said that catholics and moral citizens against gay marriage should be focusing on the not only the "gay" threat, but also the recent trends in marriage, such as no-fault divorce and deliberate childlessness.

I was unaware that choosing not to have children was something that was bringing down the value of marriage.

Just thought it was funny, considering the "I don't intend to have children" comments (with which I whole-heartedly agree!)