Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?  (Read 6551 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »
I still would encourage everyone to visit a law school as soon as possible...doesn't matter if its one you're interested in or not, just go visit and see what it's about. The motivation it provides sure helps with the crappy waiting game we're all in right now.

I took an LSAT at New York Law School (not NYU).  If the administration of the test and the facility was representative of the school, I was not impressed.  I said to myself, "I've gotta go to a school better than this!" 
Fed gov't atty

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »
I agree with draino about writing better essays.  Although I knew ASU was gonna be my first choice prior to physically stepping onto the campus, just going there really helped me write a better essay for them.  ASU is apparently known for having a really nice new library but I didn't know that until my mom asked me if that was why I mentioned it in my essay.  It wasn't that, I had truly been impressed with their library. 

Going to visit helps in terms of being able to express to each school (without actually saying it outright) that they're one of your top choices.  Actually meeting with admissions people probably won't help though in terms of them remembering you.

chicago108

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 04:12:43 PM »
rk83,

U of Maryland is located in Baltimore (different from U of Baltimore), and I wasn't impressed with the downtown area - very gritty, working class, etc.  However, the law school itself is gorgeous.  It looks brand new, very technologically savvy, etc.  I only spoke with the people in admissions and didn't have the chance to chat with students directly. I heard that it was a commuter campus, that people didn't tell to live in the on-campus housing.

So my two cents is that the surrounding area isn't great but once you step inside the school it is! They have a very nice library as well.

Hope that helps.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 03:01:58 AM »
So I've heard Baltimore is ghetto =X

Thanks!

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 06:06:38 PM »
Yea, I have a full-time job this year, as well.  And I don't have much money.  But I decided to just save a bit each week.  I visited the U. of Miami (from Michigan).  I stayed in a hostel and went from a Sunday through a Tuesday.  So that was a lot of fun and I got a really cheap airline ticket. 
I visited schools near New York and Philly when I was on vacation this year.  I also visted Cleveland this fall.

I don't think it's a matter of needing to visit before you get in though.  Just apply to the schools you think you would like to go to and when you get accepted to a few, pick your favorites and then visit.  You definately should visit the school you plan on attending, however.

Temple, Rutgers-Newark, Tulane... These are schools to which I applied.

I visited Temple and Rutgers-Newark.  Rutgers-Newark isn't in a great area.  Newark just looks bleak... but of course, it's close to New York and I actually would rather live in a place like Newark than the suburbs.  The law school itself is quite pretty -- if not small.  It is new and designed well.

Temple isn't in a great area either -- but it's perfectly safe during the day I think.  The law school has an amazing new library.  I like Temple quite well.

I haven't been to Tulane, but I've heard good things. 

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 07:54:50 PM »
If I get into Tulane, I'm definitely visiting.  My friend's wife is a 1L there and they invited me to come and visit and sit in on a class with her so assuming Tulane ever requests my freakin report I'll report back on my impressions of the school.

ats

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 09:08:21 PM »
I work near Suffolk and I have two words for you: HOT GIRLS. Four words: LOTS OF HOT GIRLS.

rlamanna, I just got my acceptance from Suffolk a few days ago.  What were your impressions of that school?  How does it compare to Northeastern (another school I am interested in).  I also applied to American, but I doubt I will get in.

Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2004, 07:03:52 PM »
lol... thanks ats... I abandoned this thread for a while but its always nice to come back to good news.
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »
how 'bout the guys?  Anyone have any news on the guys at any of these schools.

If they guys are allowed to be shallow, so are the girls.  I confess to looking at the percentage of men/women at the schools and being slightly more interested in places where there are more guys.  Doubt it will influence my ultimate decision, but still, its nice to have all the info.