Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?  (Read 6455 times)

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2004, 10:59:01 AM »
rlamanna, I just got my acceptance from Suffolk a few days ago.  What were your impressions of that school?  How does it compare to Northeastern (another school I am interested in).  I also applied to American, but I doubt I will get in.

Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2004, 11:14:35 AM »
MaroonOut - how did you like SMU and UH? So far I've only visited Baylor (which was great!) and UT, thinking I might try to hit those other two before long.

I really liked SMU.  The law school is really nice; very traditionally looking.  The rest of the campus is very beautiful as well, and the area surrounding campus is great.

However, I didn't get the same vibe from UH as I got from Baylor/UT/SMU.  UH's campus and law school were nicer than I thought, but I didn't get the same of excitment about it that I developed towards the others.  That's just my subjective opinion though, you might get a different impression all together.

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
Good to know.  I've been up to SMU a few times but never toured the law school specifically, but I figured it must be pretty nice based on the rest of the university.

Only downside to SMU would be having to live in Dallas for three years (and possibly much longer), I've never been much of a Dallas fan but I guess if I went to SMU I might change my opinion...

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 09:06:49 PM »
How is American??

Thanks.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 10:48:43 PM »
I went to American for undergrad so I can tell you a little bit about it.  First of all, don't expect a gorgeous campus.  The buildings are all the same drab stone color and a few of them could use to be renovated.  That said, Washington College of Law is located about a mile further north on Massachusetts Avenue from the Main Campus.  It's in a great area called Spring Valley.  The law building, although I haven't been inside, is absolutely gorgeous from the outside.  Across the street is a Crate and Barrel as well as a Chicken Out (a sort of fast food place for those not familiar with it) and there's a small shopping complex and two banks located directly next to the law building.

My suggestion in terms of going to American would be to live outside the city.  Although I spent about a year and a half living in an apartment building that was only about a ten minute walk from campus (maybe a 20-25 minute walk from the law building), that eventually became too expensive and I moved with my roommates to Arlington, VA.  If you don't have a car you should live close to a metro stop, although to get to the AU campus, law school included, you have to take a short shuttle ride.  The shuttles run about every fifteen minutes during the week but much less frequently during the weekend.  If you have a car, be ready to sit in traffic if you travel during rush hour (or any hour really).

AU is a great place to go to school and from what I've heard, the law building is fairly new with great facilities and courtrooms. 

chicago108

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 05:35:29 PM »
If you have the chance to visit school prior to applying, you definitely should.  The advantage of doing so is that you can meet with the Director of Admissions and in a subtle way, "sell" yourself to the school.

I visited 6 schools a month ago - UVA, George Washington, Georgetown, American, George Mason, and University of Maryland.  I think meeting the admissions officers certainly could not have hurt, and I would like to believe that it helped.  I just received my acceptance from Maryland, and they're offering me a scholarship.

With that said, I don't think you should fret if you can't visit schools.  But if you can, by all means you should.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 02:46:18 AM »
If you have the chance to visit school prior to applying, you definitely should.  The advantage of doing so is that you can meet with the Director of Admissions and in a subtle way, "sell" yourself to the school.

I visited 6 schools a month ago - UVA, George Washington, Georgetown, American, George Mason, and University of Maryland.  I think meeting the admissions officers certainly could not have hurt, and I would like to believe that it helped.  I just received my acceptance from Maryland, and they're offering me a scholarship.

With that said, I don't think you should fret if you can't visit schools.  But if you can, by all means you should.

Can you tell me how you liked U of Maryland? How are the buildings, general atmosphere, impression of students, etc.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2004, 10:06:24 AM »
The thing is that there are a ton of people who meet the admissions officers.  You think they're going to remember everyone that comes to visit their schools?  I highly doubt it makes a difference one way or the other in terms of meeting the admissions people.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 11:39:50 AM »
I agree with Laur. If they overhear you getting a call from the Supreme Court asking if you can fill in for Rehnquist until they can get a permanent replacement, then that would probably help. Other than that.....
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

dr_draino

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 11:44:13 AM »
The thing is that there are a ton of people who meet the admissions officers.  You think they're going to remember everyone that comes to visit their schools?  I highly doubt it makes a difference one way or the other in terms of meeting the admissions people.

Doubt the fact that I visited makes a difference, but I was able to write infinitely better essays for one of the schools I visited after my visit because of discussions I had with people while I was there.  I still would encourage everyone to visit a law school as soon as possible...doesn't matter if its one you're interested in or not, just go visit and see what it's about.  The motivation it provides sure helps with the crappy waiting game we're all in right now.