Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?  (Read 6439 times)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 06:34:55 PM »
LOL. Maybe you should tell me, since you seem to have a whole lot more information about this stuff than I do (other than actual physical visits to campuses that is--on that level I think we're pretty much the same--the financially challenged need to stick together).

;-D. Okay. The EARLIEST you should hear back from any school will be a month from now. That can only happen if everything goes really fast (LSDAS, mail, etc.), the adcomms take one look at your file, decide they love you so much that they have to have you, and send you an acceptance right away. This will generally only happen if you're above the 75/75 for both stats, or you have strong stats and the rest of your application blew them away.

Other than that, it's basically a crapshoot. Keep monitoring the acceptances forum to see when other people get letters from schools you're interested in, then compare their submitted date and stats to yours.

Also: Don't get faked out by thin envelopes. My GTown acceptance came in a thin envelope, which freaked me out. Similarly, some schools send a big envelope just to acknowledge they have your app (Harvard is infamous for that). Don't make any guesses about what something is before you open it.

Hope this helps.

Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 06:37:39 PM »
"God damned thin envelope from stanford!  I don't want to read their cliched platitudes, I'm throwing it right in the trash!"

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 07:10:06 PM »
yay, thanks for the info.  very helpful and informative.  well, i think i've done enough stressing about this stuff for the day.  it's almost time for me to go have a beer.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 03:32:24 PM »
I'm new here, but it seems like everyone has gone on lots of visits to law schools. I've actually only seen one campus (Arizona State) and that was because my family was on vacation in the Phoenix area. I have a full-time job. How does everyone find the time, not to mention the money, to go visit all these law schools?

I'm figuring that I'll want to visit the campuses when I hear from the schools. I wasn't sure if it would really be worth it to spend all that money visiting schools before I knew whether or not I got in. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Hey, don't worry!  It's a little different for us working adults :)  I think you're actually a little in front of most applicants as far as timewise.  I'm re-taking the LSAT this Saturday, so I haven't even touched my personal statement yet.  I'll be lucky to get my applications in to my target/safety schools by Xmas.  Depending on what my second LSAT score looks like, I'll apply to a few more schools in January. 

As far as your original question, I have the same plan re: visits.  Considering that two-thirds of the schools that I'm applying to are spread across the country (and I'm talking 11-14 schools), it doesn't make sense for me to visit all of them beforehand, so I'll wait until I have acceptances/WL.  The application process (including LSAT prep course) is going to cost me over $2100 out-of-pocket already.  I'm kissing a real vacation goodbye and using those funds for the school visits instead.  Luckily, getting time off is the least of my problems since I get over a month of paid vacation each year.
Fed gov't atty

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 03:35:46 PM »
I'm not going on any visits until I know decisions. Then I will only visit the schools that I actually have to make a choice between. Even if I have a clear choice on where to attend, I will visit whatever school I choose to attend ASAP.

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 10:26:36 AM »
I'm with AMB22: once I know what my options are, I may even be able to rule out visits to some schools where I applied /was accepted
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 11:36:29 AM »
I havent' even done the official tour at the school I currently attend, yet.  I am waiting to see my options and will start arranging visits from their.  I may even wait until aid packages come out from several of my schools.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 12:26:49 PM »
I've visited SMU, Baylor, UT, U. of H. and Notre Dame.

The first four were easy to visit because I live in Texas.  The Notre Dame trip I planned very much in advance so I could decide whether or not I wanted to apply there ED.

rlamanna

• AOL Instant Messenger - rlamanna000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 11:41:41 PM »
I've been to the following law schools:

Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern
Suffolk
American
George Mason
Quinnipiac

If you have questions, ask.

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2004, 01:00:10 AM »
MaroonOut - how did you like SMU and UH?  So far I've only visited Baylor (which was great!) and UT, thinking I might try to hit those other two before long.