Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?  (Read 6511 times)

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
Has everyone gone on lots of visits?
« on: November 21, 2004, 05:15:19 PM »
I'm new here, but it seems like everyone has gone on lots of visits to law schools.  I've actually only seen one campus (Arizona State) and that was because my family was on vacation in the Phoenix area.  I have a full-time job.  How does everyone find the time, not to mention the money, to go visit all these law schools?

I'm figuring that I'll want to visit the campuses when I hear from the schools.  I wasn't sure if it would really be worth it to spend all that money visiting schools before I knew whether or not I got in.  Does that make any sense to anyone?

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Has everyone gone on lots of visits?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 05:17:03 PM »
No real visits, although, since my lsat will be at pace law school, I've been taking a practice test there every day

Their classrooms are nice, and their buildings look nice from the outside.. but that's about it, from what I've seen.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 05:18:16 PM »
laur0212-- I'm in the exact same spot you are. The only law school I've seen is University of Arizona (I undergrad at UA), and I ended up not applying there anyway.

It makes no sense tome to visit BEFORE you apply, unless you live close. I just can't afford the $$$$. As it is, I took out a student loan to even apply to law school. And welcome to the board!
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 05:22:55 PM »
I applied to UA.  Wanna tell me a little bit about the campus?  I LOVED ASU, although I think it may have been the area more than the actual campus (lots of construction going on there).  Take an East Coast girl and put her in Arizona in August and she falls in love (trust me, the no humidity thing in the desert is a BIG thing to me).

I'm hoping to go see Tulane possibly before I even hear from them (but I doubt I'll have the money).  A friend of mine's wife is a 1L there so they said I could crash with them. 

I'm just glad someone is of them same mind as me about the visiting schools thing.  Reading some of these posts makes me feel like I've been a total delinquent in this whole process, especially since some people have even received decisions from schools already and I only started sending out my applications this past Thursday! 

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:30:38 PM »
I applied to UA.  Wanna tell me a little bit about the campus?  I LOVED ASU, although I think it may have been the area more than the actual campus (lots of construction going on there).  Take an East Coast girl and put her in Arizona in August and she falls in love (trust me, the no humidity thing in the desert is a BIG thing to me).

I'd be happy to.

If you like the climate at ASU, you'll love UA. It's very outdoorsy, dry, and hot.  The classrooms seem pretty good; I took my LSAT in one, and I have no complaints. Tucson is also a decent city, although everything opens late and closes early (grrrrrrrrrrr). The campus is a bit like a TARDIS, in that it's a lot bigger inside than it looks like from the outside.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 05:37:47 PM »
I'm just glad someone is of them same mind as me about the visiting schools thing.  Reading some of these posts makes me feel like I've been a total delinquent in this whole process, especially since some people have even received decisions from schools already and I only started sending out my applications this past Thursday!

Forgot to reply to this part. The rule of thumb is that you're fine so long as you get the apps out before Thanksgiving. You're there in plenty of time.

And yeah, Im' a bit of a slacker by this board's standards too. But so long as we all get in, it makes no difference, right? And good luck with U of A, once again. I love my school; you'll be very happy here, I bet.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 05:45:50 PM »
Thanks so much for the info.  I'm gonna run right down and tell my mom (I know, I'm a big dork, but after I graduated from college, I didn't have enough money to get my own place so I've been with the folks almost a whole f-ing year now--but I'm not bitter).  My mom loves hearing this *&^%.  Now that I've gotten most of my applications out, she'll most likely lay off of me, but I expect to hear the question "so when do you think you'll hear from the first school" at least 4 or 5 times a day.   ;)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 05:56:27 PM »
Laur-- Awwwwww, well, at least your mom cares enough to ask, right? She means well. Anyway, good luck.

PS: When do you think you'll hear back from the first school?  ;)

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 06:18:08 PM »
LOL.  Maybe you should tell me, since you seem to have a whole lot more information about this stuff than I do (other than actual physical visits to campuses that is--on that level I think we're pretty much the same--the financially challenged need to stick together).

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 06:18:33 PM »
I haven't visited any except my undergrad, and I'm not too worried about it.  I've been able to read what a lot of LSDers have to say about a lot of the schools I'm interested in, and I also am applying to schools that are mostly located in cities/towns that I'm familiar with.  I'm honestly not too concerned; I think that if you have a good attitude about law school and go to the best one that accepts you, then you're going to be able to make the best of just about any situation.

Also, I've found it helpful that the data on things like libraries and technology and wireless capabilities, etc. is available online.  Plus, I look at it as a new adventure; I went to UG in a small college town, and it was my first experience not living in a big city.  I not only survived, I had a great time, so I know that I can adapt to a big city or a small town.  You can, too! Don't worry too much about the visits; talk to people on here, and they can give you a good idea of the actual campuses.