Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southwestern? Is it really that bad?  (Read 8112 times)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Southwestern? Is it really that bad?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 09:15:38 PM »
From what I've seen on this board, there are many who believe that their only shot at major success in law will come from getting into a school whose name alone will get them a good job.  That's a pretty unfortunate and uninspired way to see things (not to mention untrue).  Fortunately there are many others who believe that the key to their success will be their hard work, enthusiasm, and the unique talents that most high-tier admissions committees might pass on.

I agree. My (uninformed and only partially researched opinion) is that prestige of the school is a bit overrated. Going to a T14 or HYS will certainly help, but I hardly think not going to one is a disaster. With enough financial aid, I would strongly consider Santa Clara, despite my Georgetown admission.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 11:27:46 PM »
Hocine, apply to Southwestern. I am also considering it as a back-up and the Scale program sounds very interesting.

Btw, look what I found on that same web site you looked at:

Loyola average starting salary: $83,876
Southwestern average starting salary: $82,000

I don't know how accurare that is, but that seems very impressive.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 11:28:59 PM »
I think Scale might be too hard though, but it's definitely nice to graduate in only two years. That essentially like earning a free full year's salary as a lawyer.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 12:53:19 AM »
I'm so glad to hear someone say that.  I've only been on this board for about a day, but I've been a little disappointed by some of the attitudes that I've found here.  Most of the people here have come across as very down to earth, but there are a few posts that I have come across where someone has referred to things such as what they consider to be a "crappy" LSAT scores, which one person put in the "160ish" range.  I suppose I got a crappy LSAT score then, because I only got a 163, but I've got news for you.  That puts me in the 90th percentile and ANYONE would be damn lucky to be there.  I didn't want to turn this into a rant, but to anyone who reads this that thinks that a score in the 160s isnt good, I beg of you to keep that thought to yourselves.  It really only insults the people who get those "crappy" scores and makes the people making those comments seem like arrogant, pompous, intellectual snobs. 

laur0212: You are correct.  There's NOTHING wrong with a 163, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  I'm kind of in the same boat where I've had people tell me that my 156 (which is better than ANY of my practice test scores) essentially screws me over for getting into a good school despite my good GPA, unusual/unique experiences and extracurricular activities and work experience.  While that's more than likely true for the T14 (we'll see in a few months, since I applied to 2 of them as major reaches), I still think I can get into a school that I'd be excited to go to.  LSAT scores aren't everything, and congratulations for getting such a good score. :)

Javert: Yay for Santa Clara!  I applied there, too (as a target).  Did you apply EA?  Have you heard anything about anyone getting decisions yet?  They were the first place I applied, so I'm waiting quite impatiently to get some sort of response. (Congrats on GULC, by the way :))
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 01:12:38 AM »
thanks!  like i said, most people i've come across have been really down to earth.  i'm glad to hear that someone agrees with me and realizes that even though we might not all have identical scores, we're all in the same boat and we all have the same goals.  it doesn't matter who gives you your degree as long as you're happy and you do exactly what you want with it.

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 06:15:52 AM »
163 is roughly the 91st percentile which is not bad at all

The LSAT has such a steep curve, with only 1% of test takers getting the highest 9 possible scores (172-180)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 09:08:30 AM »
Javert: Yay for Santa Clara!  I applied there, too (as a target).  Did you apply EA?

Yeah, Santa Clara strikes me as a 'sleeper' school (doesn't get nearly the love it should in the rankings). I applied EA (with a waiver). I applied on 10/29, my app was acknowledged (via email) 11/10, and I received a file complete email on 11/17. I expect to hear back fairly quickly. I'll post as soon as I hear back.

Have you heard anything about anyone getting decisions yet?

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,14593.0.html

They were the first place I applied, so I'm waiting quite impatiently to get some sort of response.

Good luck!

(Congrats on GULC, by the way

Thank you!

Laur: i'm glad to hear that someone agrees with me and realizes that even though we might not all have identical scores, we're all in the same boat and we all have the same goals.  it doesn't matter who gives you your degree as long as you're happy and you do exactly what you want with it.

Totally agree.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »
I would choose Southwestern over Santa Clara any day. I guess this is kind of mean, but Santa Clara is a no-name even in the Bay Area. I grew up there and only found out it existed quite recently. I'm sure if you ask people in SF if they've heard of SC, they would probably not have any idea what you are talking about.

I am not saying Southwestern is more well known or anything, and I'm sorry if I am bashing SC - I would just never choose a school that is virtually a no-name even in its region. I don't have anything against the school - I just don't think it has much of a reputation.

enave

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 08:07:59 PM »
Average LSAT of last years class was 157.  Average GPA 3.3.  Based on these statistics and the statistics of all students applying to law school from the LACAS website; 82% of all students applying last year were below Southwestern's mean.

If SW was attached to an undergraduate university and had greater name recognition they would be in the top 100.

According to www.cal.bar.gov Southwestern has the 3rd highest number of active alumni in California (9,000).  Not a bad place to graduate from if you need to network.

Southwestern, can't legitimately be considered a back up for most law students (see stats already noted).  Moreover, they only accepted 24.7% of the people who applied last year.   Pepperdine: 27.6%; USF: 25.6%; Santa Clara: 25%; Loyola: 19.7%.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 10:34:51 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Scale program? For those who don't know what this is, it's basically a unique two-year law program that Southwestern offers. Classes meet year-round for two years with breaks on holidays only. You get the same education as all other JD's except you finish a year early. Saving a year and taking this time to network and/or just get ahead in the game sound very tempting. Plus, I'm starting to think it's really not that bad. The only difference is that their aren't any summer breaks in between, but hell, most of our friends/family will be working in the summers anyway, so why shouldn't we? I am seriously becoming interested in this program, perhaps as a back-up or maybe in my top list. It will depend on how my grades are, but I am interested in it.