Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pookie, Andrew & other Moderators-  (Read 3115 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Pookie, Andrew & other Moderators-
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 08:24:30 AM »
DOWNY didn't go anywhere you stupid f-ing retards.

I just have more important things to do than worry about you losers-fuckers.

HTFH LFs

uppy, the evidence appears to be to the contrary.  julie send much love to uppy.

Yale

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 04:24:55 PM »
CON MAN, GIVE UP!

DOWNY HAS SCARED THE MODERATORS HALF TO DEATH!

jaxon

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 04:28:42 PM »
has it ever occured to you guys (yale, hurly, et al) how much time you spend each day thinking about downy?  surely, you have better things to devote your attention to.

Yale

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 04:34:59 PM »
YEAH LIKE DEVOTING MY ATTENTION TO BIG BERTHA!

has it ever occured to you guys (yale, hurly, et al) how much time you spend each day thinking about downy?  surely, you have better things to devote your attention to.

HURLEY- L.S.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 04:42:29 PM »
There's isn't a button I can press that will somehow make someone stop posting on Law School Discussion.  I can disable an account, but an account is not a person - it's just a name and a password.

In some cases, whether or not someone is a troll is a matter of opinion.  Some people consider those who only post one thing all of the board to be a troll.

Problems on forums are a commen problem, and there ARE ways to remedy it.  It all depends on whether or not you want to.  If so, then here are a few tips:

1.  Confirm email addresses when users sign up, and don't allow two users to have the same email address.

2.  When a problematic user is banned, ban his IP address.  If the user is behind a proxy server then just ban the first two fields of his IP (i.e. 55.555).

3.  Don't allow users to delete their accounts, because it is a way around #'s 1 and 2. 

4.  Find dedicated and trustworthy members to moderate the sub-forums.  Put one member in charge of moderating each one or two, and then provide them with a clear set of steps to deal with problematic members (i.e. warn, ban, notify admin).  This way, you will not be swamped with so many problems all at once and your mods can deal with the problems effectively. 

5.  Implement these rules with the knowledge that it will only benefit the forum rather than hinder it.  A solid and vibrant community needs a clear set of rules so that the whole scene doesn't burst into anarchy.

Because certain members are not banned, and because certain rules are not upheld, many quality members have left either out of fear or disgust.

Yale

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 04:48:02 PM »
Yeah, problems like that are COMMON!
Anyone who posts nasty things directed at people (DOWNY) are trolls!  That is a troll!  But everyone on this board has a different defintion of a troll.

#1- takes a lot of work!

#2- is stupid because then everyone (say at a particular school) would be banned!

#3- doesn't make sense

#4- big deal!

#5- Uh, sure- okay!

AND be careful, downy has his eye out for you!

There's isn't a button I can press that will somehow make someone stop posting on Law School Discussion.  I can disable an account, but an account is not a person - it's just a name and a password.

In some cases, whether or not someone is a troll is a matter of opinion.  Some people consider those who only post one thing all of the board to be a troll.

Problems on forums are a commen problem, and there ARE ways to remedy it.  It all depends on whether or not you want to.  If so, then here are a few tips:

1.  Confirm email addresses when users sign up, and don't allow two users to have the same email address.

2.  When a problematic user is banned, ban his IP address.  If the user is behind a proxy server then just ban the first two fields of his IP (i.e. 55.555).

3.  Don't allow users to delete their accounts, because it is a way around #'s 1 and 2. 

4.  Find dedicated and trustworthy members to moderate the sub-forums.  Put one member in charge of moderating each one or two, and then provide them with a clear set of steps to deal with problematic members (i.e. warn, ban, notify admin).  This way, you will not be swamped with so many problems all at once and your mods can deal with the problems effectively. 

5.  Implement these rules with the knowledge that it will only benefit the forum rather than hinder it.  A solid and vibrant community needs a clear set of rules so that the whole scene doesn't burst into anarchy.

Because certain members are not banned, and because certain rules are not upheld, many quality members have left either out of fear or disgust.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 02:35:02 PM »
seriously, the troll problem is extremely mild here compared to some other boards. there is no need to take any drastic measures. it's not like lsd is fighting a concerted effort by a group of people who know what they are doing to totally disable it for a while.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

8balll

• View Profile
Re: Andrew & other Moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 08:36:14 PM »
I agree with Suicide Nixon.

Andrew, disabling an account seems to be childish and idiotic especially when people have the right and privilege to say what they want and feel.  This isn't second grade.

What constitutes a troll to you (or one who disables an account) might not constitute a troll to the other members of LSN.

For example, look at all of the Downy posts and Guest posts. 
These people are still able to post msgs.

There's all kinds of ways where people can still sign onto LSN.

So what good does that do?