Law School Discussion

I'm supposed to be able to function before noon??

I'm supposed to be able to function before noon??
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:32:36 AM »
Here is my stress du jour:  I will be taking the December exam, but it is to be held at 8:30 in the morning.  I am a total night owl and verry low functioning in the morning.  You know those cartoons of the bleary-eyed, incoherent zombie first thing in the morning?  Ya, that's me.  ::) Even as a small child my parents say I was a total space cadet in the morning, but would stay wide awake all night.  I am destined to be nocturnal.  How have other non-morning people dealt with getting their brains going so early in the AM for the LSAT?

L.

mchek

Re: I'm supposed to be able to function before noon??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 10:38:03 AM »
I am with you. I work until 4am and usually am awake until 6 & then sleep till 2ish. I am taking Friday and Saturday off work and my plan is to force myself to wake up (and stay awake!) at 7 or so on Friday. When I wake up I am going to eat breakfast and then do something that requires me to think (study or something - but not take a practice test.) Anyway, hopefully if I'm up that early I'll be able to go to sleep early Fri. night so I'll be fairly well rested for Saturday morning.

I haven't yet decided about coffee!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 10:54:21 AM »
I am a night owl myself. I can't function right away after I wake up. So to get around that I plan on being awake for 3 hours by the time I start taking the test. In order to prepare and get accustomed to that (because I haven't done that for 10 years), the week of Thanksgiving, I am waking up on Wednesday and the Saturday before the test at 6 AM to get accustomed to waking up that early. Additionally I am going to take one LR section before I go take the LSAT to wake my brain up and put me in the mode to think logically and warmed up. I am having a simple breakfast, a muffin and an OJ (maybe a red bull) and am driving to the UTC at the University of Texas at 7:30. I'll get there by 8. I'll have time to relax. I'll be there for sign in at 8:30 and there to take the test at 9 with three hours of being awake to start. 

LN135

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »
I'm also not a morning person.  When I took the test in October, I did the following:
- got on a regular 7am wakeup schedule the week before the test
- forced myself to get into bed, in my pajamas, with the lights off, at 9:30pm the night before
- didn't drink any coffee the day before (I am pretty addicted)
- cut out alcohol the week before -- it can be disruptive to the sleep cycle
- did some games the morning of the test.

Oh, and when I felt myself falling asleep after section III, I went for a quick run during the 15 minute break.  Woke me up better than coffee would have.

Now that the test is over, I have returned to my intensely unhealthy lifestye.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 11:30:51 AM »
I am a night owl myself. I can't function right away after I wake up. So to get around that I plan on being awake for 3 hours by the time I start taking the test. In order to prepare and get accustomed to that (because I haven't done that for 10 years), the week of Thanksgiving, I am waking up on Wednesday and the Saturday before the test at 6 AM to get accustomed to waking up that early. Additionally I am going to take one LR section before I go take the LSAT to wake my brain up and put me in the mode to think logically and warmed up. I am having a simple breakfast, a muffin and an OJ (maybe a red bull) and am driving to the UTC at the University of Texas at 7:30. I'll get there by 8. I'll have time to relax. I'll be there for sign in at 8:30 and there to take the test at 9 with three hours of being awake to start. 

This sounds like a great plan. I'd also do a practice test or two at an early hour, if you can, a week or so before the test. I didn't do this, but I probably should have. I had also planned on doing some practice questions the morning of, and then ended up not actually doing it because I was worried about tiring myself out for the real test. This turned out to be the wrong choice - I ended up getting reading comp on the first section, and had a lot of trouble getting myself in gear. Because it took me a while to get going, I ended up having less time to finish than I usually did on RC - so instead of the 0-1 misses on RC that I'd gotten in practice, I missed 3. (The rest of the test went very well - once my brain got into gear.) Stamina wasn't as much of an issue on the real test as it had been for me in practice - adrenaline took care of that nicely.