Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: J.D. Worthless if not practicing law?  (Read 1921 times)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: J.D. Worthless if not practicing law?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 02:38:58 PM »
A JD is only good for practicing law. If you want a multi-purpose professional degree, get an MBA. As for a JD/MBA, more is not necessarily better. Law firms may think that you're more interested in the business side of things (where there's more $$$) and pass you over for someone who's truly committed to practicing law. And Fortune 500s wouldn't give you a higher salary for having a JD when just an MBA will do. So bottom line is you'd be wasting money for a credential that you don't need. I second Draino's suggestion about working at a law firm for a year. You wouldn't be able to apply to an MBA program straight out of college anyway (you must have significant WE).

That's not true. There are a lot of MBA programs that don't require any WE.

dr_draino

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 02:41:25 PM »
A JD is only good for practicing law. If you want a multi-purpose professional degree, get an MBA. As for a JD/MBA, more is not necessarily better. Law firms may think that you're more interested in the business side of things (where there's more $$$) and pass you over for someone who's truly committed to practicing law. And Fortune 500s wouldn't give you a higher salary for having a JD when just an MBA will do. So bottom line is you'd be wasting money for a credential that you don't need. I second Draino's suggestion about working at a law firm for a year. You wouldn't be able to apply to an MBA program straight out of college anyway (you must have significant WE).

Yes there are...a lot of worthless MBA programs.

futurejd, by your logic, noone really needs a college degree or any degree...they should just go out and start a business. 

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 03:39:28 PM »
An MBA is definitely still useful if you have a finance/business undergrad, even better if you have work experience.  Even if not, it really is a ticket to the management level in the corporate world, and to all sorts of opportunities on Wall Street (like my cousin the bond trader whose UG degree was in anthropology).  Not necessary for entrepreneurs, but people like CFOs, COOs and CEOs more than likely than not have an MBA.

I think a JD is more of a waste of time than an MBA if you are not going to practice law.  Read the beginning of the Montauk book for in depth discussion.  That said, I do know a couple of people who went to work outside the law after LS, in one case, the degree was helpful, in the other, I don't think it was.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 04:28:58 PM »

futurejd, by your logic, noone really needs a college degree or any degree...they should just go out and start a business. 

exactly. my dad and all of his friends in the business world pretty much just started from scratch because their russian degrees usually don't mean sh*t here. all you need is a little training - none of which you can find in the classroom, professor.

dr_draino

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 06:58:27 PM »

exactly. my dad and all of his friends in the business world pretty much just started from scratch because their russian degrees usually don't mean sh*t here. all you need is a little training - none of which you can find in the classroom, professor.

Then why are you bothering with law school?  All your posts are about how you don't really need a degree to do anything...so why are you bothering with a JD?  I don't understand...

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 07:16:45 PM »
Stictly speaking, you don't "need" any degree to be financially successful (didn't Bill Gates prove this?)

But just because it's possible doesn't make it a good f-in idea!

Chris Rock said it best: 

"Yeah you could DO it without a man, but that don't mean its to be done. S**t you could drive a car with your feet if ya want to, that don't make if a good f***in' idea!" --Chris Rock - on woman who say they don't need a man to help them raise their child

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 07:50:46 PM »
draino, i got a free full ride to law school, i will graduate from undergrad two years early, my undergrad major is darn, and it's always smart to have a nice back-up plan. i still don't think i need any kind of degree to be succesful, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a few.

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 07:52:22 PM »
My kids are gonna do a 6-year BS/MD and then whatever they want to do after that is up to them, but they'll always have that MD, for 2 extra years (although they won't have the 'typical' undergrad experience, which will be a good thing if I have girls)

foxnewssucks

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 07:55:09 PM »
My kids are gonna do a 6-year BS/MD and then whatever they want to do after that is up to them, but they'll always have that MD, for 2 extra years (although they won't have the 'typical' undergrad experience, which will be a good thing if I have girls)

what if they tell you to @#!* off because they want to go to film school?

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »
If they want me to pay for nyu film school they better suck it up and get that MD