Law School Discussion

J.D. Worthless if not practicing law?

J.D. Worthless if not practicing law?
« on: November 20, 2004, 10:23:05 PM »
So lets say that Ol' Willy makes it to his 2L summer associate job and absolutely HATES the work. He graduates and says screw this lawyering business....

Is a J.D. worth anything in the business world for non-lawyer jobs?

Re: J.D. Worthless if not practicing law?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 10:47:08 PM »
probably, though I'd think the easiest route would be through a stint working for some in-house legal department.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 10:48:33 PM »
bad...So it could be 150K down the drain huh... not liking this

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 10:52:42 PM »
Politics?  Teaching at a lower tier law school?

If its columbia, its $186K wasted.

I'd wait for other people to post, though.  I just decided I was remotely interested in law about a year and a half ago.  I'm extremely clueless about T-14 schools and big law.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 12:44:05 PM »
I'm sure you can get the same business jobs as an MBA would. A JD means a lot in my opinion.

Hocine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 12:53:37 PM »
Does your parent school have a b-school?

If so, try to jump into an MBA program next year or the year after

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 01:01:05 PM »
Does your parent school have a b-school?

If so, try to jump into an MBA program next year or the year after

i was just thinking about this... a JD/MBA is looking attractive...

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 01:04:58 PM »

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 01:07:18 PM »
If you're not sure you're going to go through with the education, develop alternative plans. That way, if you finish your first year and decide that you don't want to do it, you won't have to waste still more time trying to figure things out. I know it sounds like common sense, but you do want to think ahead.

I'm taking the GRE's some time next year just in case my law school career doesn't work out. I would go for a master's in public affairs if my legal career completely washes out.

Hocine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 01:24:32 PM »
I don't know who told you that an MBA is basically worthless, but an MBA opens a lot of doors, not only to management positions but also to wall street, etc.

While there are plenty of MBAs that don't know their heads from their asses, there are plenty that walk right into good paying jobs that wouldn't have been options had they not gone to b-school.

Also, if you aren't planning on practicing law, a JD is a good unique thing to have after your name, but before the M.B.A.

Sure, you "can" make it without an MBA, but hey, Bill Gates dropped out of undergrad.. by your logic, getting an undergrad degree is a waste of time too.