Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: region vs. cost  (Read 603 times)

rozter

• View Profile
region vs. cost
« on: April 12, 2004, 01:57:05 AM »
I'm looking for solid opinions. I'm trying to decide between two schools. School A is significantly less expensive than school B yet located in a region I know I don't want to live in after law school. School B is in a much more appealling area but at least twice the cost. Both schools are third tier. I have a young family and cost is a major consideration. Which should be given the greater weight in my decision, region or cost? What's your opinion? ???

thechoson

Re: region vs. cost
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 02:27:56 AM »
There should be other considerations as well.  I understand your apprehension, but giving the schools names or at least where each is located would help people give you solid advice.  Even tier 3 schools can have major differences in various factors.  Remember that where you go to school, especially a tier 3, would mean that's where you would more than likely practice.

Also, I would want to know, why is the one school HALF the cost? Is it a state vs. private school, or did you get some kind of scholarship? In the latter case, you could try to bargain with the other school to get a  better financial offer

kable

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 03:08:08 AM »
I'm in a very similar situation. I'm trying to decide between Washburn (KS), Wayne State (MI), and MSU-DCL (MI). In this case Washburn would be my school "A" (I can get in state residency after six months and the cost of living is very low in Topeka) with the other two acting as school "B". I could use some advice as well.

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 03:52:57 AM »
I'm in a very similar situation. I'm trying to decide between Washburn (KS), Wayne State (MI), and MSU-DCL (MI). In this case Washburn would be my school "A" (I can get in state residency after six months and the cost of living is very low in Topeka) with the other two acting as school "B". I could use some advice as well.
I guess you don't want to be in Kansas, you want to be in Michigan.  Yet Kansas is cheaper.  In my opinion, I would go to the highest ranked of the bunch.  So if you want to go to Michigan, go to Wayne instead of MSU (considering both are going to be pricey.)  So now, pick between Wayne State and Washburn, which are both 3rd tiers.  Now, I'd be wondering about the difference in price between the two schools, and whether it would be worth it to be possibly stuck somewhere you don't want to be.  Wayne State doesn't seem to be extraordinarily expensive (low 20k in tuition)  You should call Wayne State (assuming you've gotten in there and Washburn), and tell them about you situation and see if you can get some kind of scholarship.  If not, I'd still go to Wayne State.  There are ways of living cheaply during law school (get a roommate, don't eat out, work part time 2nd and 3rd years), and you will be living someplace you like and would want to stay after graduating.  This would be my advise, to go to Wayne State.

Good luck!

kable

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 10:30:09 AM »
I recently came across this article: http://www.transformingpractices.com/lc/lc3.html
I'd given it some serious consideration and was actually leaning towards Washburn. The guy seems a bit pessimistic, but then again, could very well just be reality. The article would probably make a good discussion topic in and of itself.